Sunday, May 21, 2017

Yesterdays News



10“Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11“The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other men—extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. 12‘I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.’ 13“And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’ 14“I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”
Luke 18: 10 - 14 NKJV

Recently there has been a term thrown about the media concerning fake news.  Fake news is nothing more than opinion, conjecture and lies disguised as everyday news.  Now, most of us know that what we see on the evening news is nothing more than sensationalism in disguise.  However, I would point out that the job of these television talking heads is to ensure that YOU will continue to tune in to THEIR broadcast, which in turn boosts their ratings.  Yes, these people need us more than we need them.  I was contemplating the use of this fake news recently and immediately I was reminded of the fake news of the church pulpit pounder.  Yes, even our local church messages can and do engage in fake news.  I can remember countless Sundays where I would sit in service only to listen to the padre give a talk on just how we needed to be in prayer continually for our heavenly Father to forgive our sins.  Now, what became REALLY interesting was going to church and hearing such a message on Easter Sunday.  For here was the pastor standing there telling me that I needed to be in daily prayer for the very forgiveness of my sins as he led a worship service which was all about celebrating just how Jesus had given Himself on that cross that our sins would be forgiven.  Can anyone spot the fake news here?  Why would we call on people to lift up their sins to God when God Himself has provided that sacrafice that those sins would be wiped out?  It always seemed to me that somehow the church was keeping their congregations in bondage by doing this, but that's just one heretics opinion.

"I don't need to punish people for sin.  Sin is its own punishment, devouring you from the inside.  It's not my purpose to punish it; it's my joy to cure it."
~William Paul Young The Shack~

Just like that hollywood wanna be news anchor on television, our local pastors depend on the people in their pews each Sunday for their very existance.  In a way, we are their customers.  I know it sounds cheap, but I can't think of any better way to emphasize the point.  I have seldom seen too many congregations which have survived on the teaching of our Lord Jesus alone.  Sadly, that just doesn't happen anymore.  Jesus doesn't fill too many seats in our local churches.  Instead, we've resorted to weekly dog and pony shows, performances, raucus praise and worship sessions...and fake news.  Seriously, I'm still waiting for a pastor to base his teaching on the freedom of the truth we find in Christ Jesus.  This the freedom that we are no longer dependent upon our daily confession of our sins, but rejoicing in the knowledge that not only are we cleansed, but that we who know Him live as He who is in us today {Galations 2:20}.  So, why would we continue to preach that our sins which Jesus took upon Himself {2 Corinthians 5:21}?  Well, for lack of a better word...control.  Like I said, the pastor needs us more than we need him.  Now, I'm still a strong proponent of the role of the pastor as a councelor to guide the flock.  However, there is a huge difference in that and keeping a congregation in submisson.  I believe that this is the number one reason for the fake news of the modern church.  For once we know the truth of Jesus who is in us, we can live our lives in the freedom that those sins which we are constantly reminded of are now yesterdays news.

~Scott~

No comments: