Thursday, May 25, 2017

Walking As Jesus At Angels Rest

~Dennis and I on the Angels Rest summit~


17Love has been perfected among us in this: that we may have boldness in the day of judgment; because as He is, so are we in this world. 18There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love. 19We love Him because He first loved us.
1 John 4: 17 -19 NKJV

I still recall it from time to time, even though it happened over a year ago.  Dennis and I were scrambling up the Angels Rest trail in the Columbia River Gorge on one of our summer hikes.  Well, Dennis was scrambling while I tried to keep up with him.  Now, if you knew me, the very sight of me climbing this 1,600 foot shale rock faced monster would make surely make you do a double take.  See, for some time I have a held a numbing fear of heights.  In fact, I have been on a few hikes with Dennis where I have simply froze in place as I looked out over some 50,000 foot high cliff.  It matters not if I exagerated here, heights are heights in my book.  As I see it, there is NO sane reason for a man to soar with the birds, jump out of a perfectly good airplane or hug the rock strewn face of some mountain.  This is why you don't see too many people chasing mountain goats up a mountain.  At least I don't.  Anyway, as Dennis and I stood ready to descend down the Angels Rest trail from the very top, I glanced around me at the scenic views...and froze.  Now, I knew that the only way down this godforsaken hill was for me to hike my way out, and the thought of it still terrified me.  It was at that moment that I remembered something Dennis had shared with me from 1 John 4, that perfect love casts out fear.  Then it hit me, I wouldn't be walking this trail alone.  Far from it, for Christ Jesus would indeed be my strength that day.

13I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Philippians 4:13 NKJV

Some time ago, Dennis shared his interpretation of one of his favorite scriptures found in Philippians fourth chapter.  Most christians are familiar with that scripture which encourages us that we can do all things through Christ Jesus who strengthens us.  However, instead of doing all things through Christ who strengthens us, can't we also claim that it is Jesus Himself who IS our strength?  For if we are secure in the knowledge of that truth of Jesus that the apostle Paul relates to us in Galations 2:20, then we can be secure in the belief that we now live each and every day AS CHRIST JESUS who is in us.  Whatever it is that we now experience, we can trust in our hearts that we experience it as Jesus.  How else can we explain that, as Paul put it, that it was no longer I (Paul) who live, but Christ lives in me?  This wasn't just Paul being Paul, this was Paul coming to the realization that his "Old man" had been put to death the very moment that Christ Jesus took our sin upon Himself upon that cross {2 Corinthians 5:21}.  No longer are we slaves to that sin nature which we were once born with, that has been put to death once and for all by Jesus {Romans 6: 6-11}.  Yes, all have sinned and fallen short of our heavenly Fathers glory, but through Jesus we have been reconciled once again to the Father.  So it was that as I walked homeward down the Angels Rest trail, I did so with an extra confidence that I wasn't alone.  Far from it, I walked with Dennis...and Jesus.

20“I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.
Galations 2:20 NKJV


~Scott~




1 comment:

Scotts Page said...

1,600 feet up and he got enough reception to call his wife :)