Saturday, June 16, 2018

Stop And LIsten



19So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath; 20for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God.
James 1: 19 - 20 NKJV

There is a popular belief out there that at times many of us will hear the words of those around us, yet will only truly listen to a few select people.  This can be especially true with children.  I've often heard from parents that a child will often hear the passing words of a parent, yet they will listen to another family member with an interest not shown to the parents.  So, what is really the difference between one who listens and the one who truly hears the words of others?  Well, we've all heard that old saying, in one ear and out the other?  This is how it is for those who are simply hearing those around them.  We've all been in those situations where someone close to us will speak something to us so often that eventually we tune out their words.  We are not listening, but hearing.  Some people call it background noise, which they all too often hear without paying much attention to the words.  I have a coworker who will often start into a conversation about the virtues of finances and how people need to "set themselves up" for retirement.  Now, I'm not saying that this is not VERY sound advice, but the truth is that I've heard the speech so often that I often find myself tuning him out.  I find myself hearing but not listening.  I've also heard the catch phrase some personal behavior gurus have taken to calling "active listening."  In my opinion, all this means is that we are actually showing an interest in the words of others...we're listening and not simply hearing.  I believe that this is what our Lords brother James was refering to as he instructed us to be slow to speak and swift to hear.  Don't believe me?  Have you ever tried to have a conversation with someone who was trying to talk over you?  Not so easy is it?  Indeed, if each of us would simply took the time to listen to the words of those around us we might just learn something.  Then again, each of us already knows more than someone else, right?

14How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? 15And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace, Who bring glad tidings of good things!” 16But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “LORD, who has believed our report?” 17So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
Romans 10: 14 - 17 NKJV

My coworker and I had a conversation the other day about those who seemingly "listen" to that false inner voice and make misguided decisions.  Of course, this may very well be in error for those who have the Spirit of Christ in them.  The apostle Paul tells us that it is no longer we who live, but that Christ Jesus lives through us {Galations 2:20}.  So, if the Spirit of Jesus indeed lives through those who know Him, how is it that listening to His voice within us can ever be a bad thing?  Yet far too many christians adhere to this line of thought in their daily lives.  God is leading me in a wrong direction, God is telling me to go somewhere I know is wrong.  When is the last time God ever guided one of His children to do something wrong?  This simply never happens.  Now, I'm also not so naive that I cannot believe that many a christian would follow the lead of the flesh.  I should know, I've been down that road before.  I also believe that as we seek the words of our Lord Jesus within us, that we do well to heed the words of James, that we be slow to speak and swift to hear.  When we truly listen, we will know those words Jesus is speaking to us.  Obviously, when we follow the path of our flesh, we are not heeding the words of Jesus.  I believe that anything that is not of Christ is simply not for us to act on.  That is, if I perceive those desires within me that are not in line with love, mercy and grace, then I can honestly trust that they are not what Jesus desires for me.  I used to think that this whole listening for Jesus concept was something that required much training.  However, when we realize that we are now in union with He and the Father, we can be assured that we are closer to Him than we ever thought possible.  Instead of hearing and following the desires of the flesh, we can listen to the words of He who first loved us.

42Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love Me, for I proceeded forth and came from God; nor have I come of Myself, but He sent Me. 43“Why do you not understand My speech? Because you are not able to listen to My word. 44“You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it. 45“But because I tell the truth, you do not believe Me. 46“Which of you convicts Me of sin? And if I tell the truth, why do you not believe Me? 47“He who is of God hears God’s words; therefore you do not hear, because you are not of God.”
John 8: 42 - 47 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: