Saturday, June 23, 2018

True Accountability



23Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful.24And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works,25not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.
Hebrews 10: 23 - 25 NKJV

A friend of mine sent me a article this week which at first glance a good church going christian might consider to be a sure fire cure for sexual sin.  The writer tells that in those times when we see ourselves snared in that desire of our own flesh, that we should immediately...pick up the phone.  Yes, when we are tempted into that sexual sin, we need to immediately make a call to a trusted christian brother/sister and bare our souls before them.  Friends, this isn't my first venture into the practice of accountability, I've seen this movie play out before.  Not only that, I've tried, and more often than not failed in my own attempts at curing my own sexual sin through a few accountability relationships of my own.  Now, there may be those who will remind me that perhaps I did not try hard enough.  Maybe God Himself was trying to lead me somewhere.  Perhaps the Lord was angry with me and was allowing me to venture through this hell to somehow teach me a lesson.  Trust me, I've heard a lot of the excuses people use in defense of accountability relationships.  I'll lay out the typical scenario for you.  After one too many times falling victim to the bad behaviors of my flesh, I sought out the advice of a few christian pastors and friends.  Well, one of the very first remedies they would recommend was to become involved in a accoutability relationship with a good christian brother.  Not knowing any better, I fell into the accountability trap.  After getting up the courage to ask a fellow brother if he would help to hold me accountable (which was hard enough), I began my journey.  sure enough, as it always will, those feelings of desire soon overcame me once again.  So, I did what I was asked to do, I called my accountability brother.  Well, after so many times of hearing how wrong these feelings were in Gods eyes and how God heates the very presence of sin, I gave up and sank deeper into my issues.  Does it sound like accountability cured me?  Well, if you think that somehow trying harder, praying more or making more phone calls would have changed the overall result then I have some ocean front property in Iowa to sell you!

17As iron sharpens iron,So a man sharpens the countenance of his friend.
Proverbs 27: 17 NKJV

So, why is it that this idea of accoutability relationships seldom works?  Well, as I told my friend this week, rarely will guilt, shame and condemnation change behavior.  Guilt and shame you say?  Yes, for this is one of the by products of a accountability relationship with one who is more focused on scripture and institutional teachings than on the truth of Christ in us {Galations 2:20}.  See, we cannot and will not change ones response to sexual desires by simply tossing scripture and Sunday sermon talking points at them.  We can never help a brother out of the muck of sin by simply telling them how bad they have been behaving.  Remember, I've been down that road already.  What we CAN do to help a brother in the grips of the battle of the flesh is to urge them to see the love of Christ that is already within them.  It is not that we are somehow not trying hard enough or have somehow fallen out of favor with God.  No, God is closer to us now than He has ever been.  When we struggle with our desires of the flesh, it is Christ Jesus in us who is walking that road with us.  Everything we see and experience daily, we experience AS Christ.  Does this sound like a  God who has somehow become angry when we can't control our own desires?  Friends, it is God who created you in His own image.  He knows your very makeup.  Every habit and weakness we will ever have is devinely known by our heavenly Father who created us.  He knows the roads of temptation we face, and His desire is that we walk them with Him {John 17:21}.  We must come to the realization that the only "change" we will ever need is to be changed by the indwelling Spirit of Christ Jesus within us.  One of the truest, most productive accoutability relationships I've ever had is with a pastor friend of mine.  Recently, after struggling with my desires once again, I asked his forgiveness for my failure.  Yes, he went against the grain and threw a scripture quote from Jesus at me, but it was all I needed at the time.  Nor do I condemn you.

20“I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who jwill believe in Me through their word;21“that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me. 22“And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: 23“I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me. 24“Father, I desire that they also whom You gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me; for You loved Me before the foundation of the world.
John 17: 20 - 24 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: