Friday, July 5, 2019

Storm Damage



2My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, 3knowing that the testing of your faith produces apatience. 4But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.
James 1: 2 - 4 NKJV

I listened to a radio preacher this week recount a portion of the apostle Pauls time in prison.  Now, I've known a few people who have come out of the criminal justice system with a bitter attitude, I get it.  However, one verse in Ephesians (one of Pauls prison letters) intrigued me.  What was Pauls attitude in this letter to the church at Ephisus as he languished in prison?  You be the judge.

15Therefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints, 16do not cease to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers.
Ephesians 1: 15 - 16 NKJV

Doesn't sound at all like Paul was too bitter about his situation does it?  In fact, I could learn a thing or two from Pauls time in prison.  One of the main things which I can take away from Pauls prison writings is his focus on what was truly important to him.  His ministry and those he'd left behind.  Above all, Paul wrote of his love and devotion to a man he had never met.  A man who, prior to his conversion, had been the object of Pauls (Saul) wrath.  That man, whom Paul never ceased to glorify, was the man Christ Jesus.  Think about that, even in the midst of being chained in prison, Paul never questioned his circumstances nor complained why God had not answered his prayers.  More than anything, THIS is what I can learn from the life of the apostle Paul.  What is my attitude when the storms of life make things uncomfortable?  I'll tell you what it is, it's not good.  I can recall a few times where, in the midst of one trial or another, that I wondered aloud why God would treat me the way He was.  First of, God wasn't treating me any different than He always had.  He still loved me, He still cherished me.  He still called me His very son.  Nothing had changed.  I take that back...I had changed.  It was in those times of trial that the seed of doubt was planted in my mind.  Did God really love me?  If He did love me, why would He treat me that way {Hebrews 12:6}.  Keep in mind that NONE of these thoughts of pity were of God, but of the accuser.  As he whispered to Adam and Eve so long ago that they could "be like God." {Genesis 3:5}.  Like a tired old democrat politician, he was using the same tactic on me. 

12No one has seen God at any time. If we love one another, God abides in us, and His love has been perfected in us. 13By this we know that we abide in Him, and He in us, because He has given us of His Spirit. 14And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent the Son as Savior of the world. 15Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God. 16And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him.
1 John 4: 12 - 16 NKJV

I read with some interest the title of Wayne Jacobsens weekly podcast this week...When desperate prayers go unanswered.  So, when we reach out to God in prayer, are we sure He hears us?  Does God place His children on a waiting list at times?  Do we need to pre schedule a appointment?  Well, if you have ever felt this way about God then that seed of doubt has already been planted.  It will never be our heavenly Father who will whisper to us, "I don't have time for you."  That is contrary to who God truly is, and far too many christians fail to realize it.  We fail to realize that we do not need to reach out too far in order to be in our Lords presence {Galations 2:20}.  For His indwelling Spirit is now one with us.  So, knowing this, would God willfully hurt and possibly destroy Himself?  I don't think so.  I've been in that situation where I've felt as if my deperate prayers were falling on deaf ears and it's not a very comforting feeling.  Maybe James knew something we don't when he spoke of "counting it all joy" when we endure our storms of life.  The truth is, God never leaves when the storms arrive.  In fact, He assures us that He will never leave nor forsake us.  It is we ourselves who give God thoughts He has never had towards us.  Thoughts of anger, condemnation and punishment.  These thoughts are not of God, but of our accuser.  It is satan who wishes to see God and His children fail.  It is God who ensures that will never happen.

 38For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, 39nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 8: 38 - 39 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: