Sunday, July 14, 2019

When Our Veil Is Lifted



14But their minds were blinded. For until this day the same veil remains unlifted in the reading of the Old Testament, because the veil is taken away in Christ. 15But even to this day, when Moses is read, a veil lies on their heart. 16Nevertheless when one turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away.
2 Corinthians 3: 14 - 16 NKJV

Back when I used to work the graveyard shift I found it difficult to sleep during my off hours.  Keep in mind that my "off" hours were more often than not during the daytime.  Yes, when most everyone else was out in about doing normal stuff during normal hours, I was trying to get the sleep I needed.  As you might expect, this was easier said than done.  Anyone who has ever worked the night shift can understand where I'm coming from.  After more than a few years and more than a few restless sleep patterns I came across a new idea.  It seems that a coworker of mine had the same issues for a few years.  To remedy his situation, be purchased a black veil to place over the window of his bedroom.  The difference, to him, was night and day.  Where he was unable to sleep in the light of day, he now rested peacefully in the darkness.  Well, his idea did the trick for me as well.  From the day I put in my veil I slept well.  For the purposes of this writing, I'd say that many a christian has never gotten rid of the veil which blocks the light of Christ Jesus from entering their hearts.  Now, you might scoff at me in disbelief at this statement, but there is indeed a veil of understanding among christians.  Not just christians, but all who seek the truth of Christ.  Simply put, our own search fot the light of Jesus is often shrouded by that veil of our own understanding.  Do you believe that Christ lives in us as Paul speaks of in Galations{Galations 2:20}?  Do you know that you no longer suffer from being a sinner as we're told in Romans {Romans 6:6}?  If you have never known these truths of Christ Jesus, then your own veil of understanding may very well be preventing you from seeing it.  Indeed, my own veil kept me from a relationship with Christ Jesus for many years.  That is, until my God lifted that veil.

7“If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; and from now on you know Him and have seen Him.”8Philip said to Him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is sufficient for us.”9Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?
John 14: 8 - 9 NKJV

I will say that I have taken issue with the passage in 2 Corinthians 3 which speaks to our own veils of understanding being lifted once we come to the Lord.  I do this simply because it isn't how it worked out in my case.  I've also noticed many a well meaning christian struggle with their own understanding of who God/Jesus is.  I remember a few friends of mine talking to me about their own relationship with Christ and wondering why it was that I couldn't have what they were experiencing.  Wasn't I a good enough christian?  Was there something I was missing?  No, it wasn't something I was missing, it's just that I did not know who Jesus really was.  This comes from our traditional teachings of Christ.  We're often told that upon the resurectionof Christ that He simply ascended into heaven to live forever.  Well, that understanding of Jesus part of the veil of understanding which blocks our own relationship with Jesus.  We simply will not enjoy a personal relationship with Christ if we see Him as we have been taught.  For there is no seperation of God from His children.  When we discover the truth of Jesus, that He lives in us, we will get a glimpse of what was once hidden to us.  How could I have had a relationship with one who I saw as being seperate from me?  What intimacy is there in that scenario?  No, the real truth of Christ tells us that He not only lifted that veil of our own understanding of Him, but He removed it from us forever.  When the veil is removed, we see Jesus for who He really is.  He...is me.

~Scott~

No comments: