Sunday, October 27, 2019

Being Human



27So God created man ain His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
Genesis 1: 27 NKJV

Someone I know well asked me not too long ago if I thought that I was special.  True to my humble roots, I said that I really didn't think of myself as that special from anyone else.  He disagreed.  See, all too often christians fail to see just how different and special that we are.  To keep away from arguments, I usually will agree with those who claim that christians are simply like everyone else.  After all, we all come from the same beginings.  We are all lovingly created by our heavenly Father.  I hate to burst the bubble of so many non christians, but even they can't escape the obvious.  That being that we were all created and formed by God in His own image.  Indeed, we are a exact carbon copy of our creator.  I know a man who will swear that claiming to be God is something close to heresy.  Well, I don't know how else to put it.  How do you sugar coat the truth?  Not only are we told that we are created in His image {Genesis 1:7}, but that it is Christ Jesus who now lives through us {Galations 2:20}.  How do I dispute that?  Believe me, there are plenty of christians out there who claim that I am simply misreading scripture.  I don't think so.  Are we to simply disregard one portion of the scriptures just because it doesn't fit what we believe?  Once we do that, we open up a pandoras box of scripture interpretations.  I don't believe that is what God intended.  In fact, I'll suggest that we today use our Lords scriptures in ways He never intended.  That is, for scolding, attack and as a life guide.  A good friend of mine once told me that scriptures were simply our Lords love letter to us.  I agree.  Yet we, as Gods creation, continue to put our own spin on what we know to be the truth.  I have a idea as to why we do this, but most wouldn't agree with me I'm sure. 

1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was in the beginning with God.3All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5And ithe light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.
John 1: 1 - 5 NKJV

Have you ever been taught that Christ Jesus was both God and man?  Well, it's true.  I'm sure that most christians can agree on this.  We agree that He was born of a virgin.  We agree that the Son of God was indeed born to one of His children.  After this it gets a bit fuzzy because we start to seperate Jesus from our own lineage.  How can the Son of the living God be tied to such sinful...humans?  Never mind the fact that we were each created the very same way in the very same image of our creator.  Remember that the authorities themselves mocked Jesus when He proclaimed to them the truth {Matthew 27:11}.  When Pilate asked Him if He was indeed the Son of God, what was His reply?  "It is as you say."  How can the Son of God...be human?  So, do you still think that Jesus doesn't know what it like to be human?  Think again.  What does it mean to "be" human?  Well, I believe that being human means that everything which makes us unique among our Lords creation is on display daily.  That is our emotions, choices and thoughts.  These are just a few of the charachteristics that make us unique in our Lords creation.  That, is being human.  I have a friend who claims that humans are unique in our Lords creation in that we have the freedom to choose.  Good or bad, every day we make choices which affect our lives.  Did Jesus make those same choices?  You bet.  Could Jesus have walked away after His temptation in the wilderness?  Could He have called legions of angels to His side as He was being led to that cross?  Absolutely!  Yet Jesus, being both human and God, understood the big picture.  There was a reason He was made suffer, and it begins and ends with you and me.  WE are the reason Jesus did what He did.  WE are the reason He continues to do what He does.  For if there were no Jesus...there would be no us.  Our road begins and ends with Him.  We are human, which makes us part of our Lords DNA.

~Scott~

No comments: