Friday, October 25, 2019

Lifes Victims



12All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.
1 Corinthians 6: 12 NKJV

I've been through a lot in my life.  There have been too mnay times where I've felt like throwing in th towell and giving up.  Some times I have, but not for long.  There is way too much at stake in this thing we call life to just simply give up.  Obligations and responsibilities all too often will keep us from giving up.  At least that's how it worked out for me.  Each time I ever thought of giving up, my very first thought was for those around me who would be depending on me.  What do I say to them?  How do I explain that I...didn't want to go on?  How would they trust in me again?  Indeed, these have all the things I've thought about each time I took it upon myself to be a victim.  We've all seen them, right?  Those among us who would rather suffer in defeat than tackle lifes issues and move on.  I've known more than a few in my time.  I know a man who will argue scripture with you any day of the week and twice on sundays just to prove his point.  However, when he is proven to be wrong his first inclination is to act as if the world is against him.  My thought is, if you are going to take a strong stand on something you trust and believe in so strongly, why feel sorry for yourself if someone doesn't see things through your rose colored glasses?  There are plenty of people who disagree with my view of christinaity, but that has never changed my own views or opinions.  Granted, if someone came along and showed me somewhere I have been wrong, and God nudges my spirit to accept it, then I too can change.  However, one thing I WILL NOT do is cry in my beer if someone does not agree with me.  That is your opinion, and opinions are like...well, you know.  I'm not saying that there have never been times where I've felt as if everyone was against me, we've all faced that demon before at one time or another.  My point is this, I don't make it a habit to show the world that I've been wronged.  Somewhere along the way, we discovered that hanging our heads in defeat would bring us sympothy from those around us.  Not from me, brother.  You had a bad circumstance, pick yourself up and move on.  I regret to say that our society has encouraged a sort of victim mentality in recent decades.  These victims have ranged from climate change believers to those of low economic circumstances.  Hey, I've been in that low income bracket before.  One thing I was not...was a victim! 

When I get home people 'll ask me, "Hey Hoot, why do ya do it man? Why? You some kinda war junkie?" Ya know what I'll say? I won't say a goddamn word. Why? They won't understand. They won't understand why we do it. They won't understand that it's about the men next to you, and that's it. That's all it is."
sfc Norm "Hoot" Hooten  ~1st Special Forces Operational Detachment Delta~

The U.S. military is a proud tradition of men doing great things.  However, if there is one lesson that we all can learn from those who have served in the armed forces it's this, there's NO room for feeling sorry for yourself!  If you're the type that will expect pity from others as soon as the bullets start flying, then perhaps the military isn't a good career for you.  From the moment you put on the uniform of the United States military, your life as an individual is over.  You now have others around you that are depending on you and the decisions that you make.  Pressure?  Maybe, but if you are the kind of person who has a self for others, then you may be comfortable in these situations.  What is a self for others?  Well, it's exactly as it sounds, putting the needs of others above your own.  Far from being selfish, one with a self for others seeks the desires of those around them.  One of the best examples I've ever seen of one with a self for others was my mother.  She loved going to church each sunday and connecting with her friends.  Those in the church knew, that if they needed prayer for anything, then my mom would gladly pray over them.  That was her calling.  In later years, as she recovered in a nursing home, she would often surprise her nurses by offering to pray for them as well.  Self for others.  A self for self, on the other hand, is the exact opposite.  I would suggest that my bible arguing friend is  aself for self person.  His thoughts are on himself on far too many occasions.  The self for self seeks the gratification of themselves above the needs of others.  We all know people like that.  Believe me, I wouldn't want a self for self individual in any fox hole with me.  I do believe, however, that the Lord can change the heart of a self for self person as well.  After all, it is clear where God stands on this issue of self for self and self for others.  It is Jesus who has told us to love one another {John 13:34-35}.  We are also told by the apostle John that the true nature of God...is Love {1 John4:8}.  Is there any doubt where God stands?  Self for others all the way.  For if He weren't, what hope would we have? 

~Scott~


No comments: