Sunday, November 24, 2019

Meek Is Never Weak



28“Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29“Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30“For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”
Matthew 11: 28 - 30 NKJV 

Growing up in the church, I always had an idea that there was something different about me.  Well, something different about christians and how we approached life.  The "eyes on the prize" theology that was so often preached made for some interesting life choices.  See, I wasn't supposed to seek those things in the future.  In fact, I recall a pastor telling me many years ago that we, as chrisians, were not supposed to plan for our future.  "God will provide" he calmly told me.  Really?  Then, when I was in my teens I got a rude introduction into exactly how the church wanted me to conduct myself.  It seems a local school bully had his sights set on me and, one day after school, he took the opportunity to introduce me to my first fight.  Well, it wasn't much of a fight at all in my opinion.  I followed the church rules of engagement and attempted not to participate.  I was after all, meek as Christ Jesus was meek (yes, I heard that in a sermon).  Well, all I got from being meek that day was a cut lip and a reputation for running away.  I remember asking God, "is this what being meek really means?"  Have we sacraficed our own dignity for the pleasure of saying that we are meek as Jesus was meek?  For awhile I thought so.  The theology of the modern institutional church will tell us that we, as christians, must achieve a laundry list of accomplishments if we are ever to be like Jesus.  Our own meekness is but one of those things.  However, there is a issue with this theology.  It is based on the very same lie which satan spoke to Eve in the garden.  For when satan uttered the words that we would "be like God" if we ate from the tree He had instructed Adam and Eve not to, what he set in motion was the idea that we ourselves are seperate from our creator.  Well, the dirty little secret is that Adam and Eve ALREADY WERE like God!  It is God who breathed into His creation the breath of life {Genesis 2:7}.  From the very begining, we were the very image of Him.

20“I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galations 2: 20 NKJV 

So, do we really need to follow the traditional church theology that we might one day be as Jesus was?  In short, no.  Let me just say that we were not created that way.  We, as Gods children, were never created to run a hamster wheel all of our lives chasing that image of Christ Jesus which we might never catch.  Of course, the church will tell us that this is "the" way to achieve being close to Jesus.  Yes, close but no cigar my friends.  For not only were we created in His image, it is the Spirit of Christ who lives in us.  That's right, we are now one in Christ.  We are all Jesus is.  So, getting back to that question of being meek, do we really need to be that meek, weak christian in order to be like Jesus?  Hell no!  All of this is simply part of the theology we have been fed over the years.  Why would we need to attempt to be like Jesus when we already are?  The apostle Paul lays this out for us in Galations {Galations 2:20}.  See, Paul knew that the man he used to be was dead, replaced by the living Spirit of Christ.  We are the same way.  Now, I will make the comment which I came to realize some time ago.  Meek...is never weak.  Part of the definition of meekness is one who is quiet and gentle.  Of course, this fits Jesus perfectly.  Unless, of course, we forget all of that trashing the temple and calling out the Pharisees stuff.  Was that Jesus being meek?  Maybe not, but it was still Jesus doing His thing.  As Jesus stood up for what was right, so it is with us.  Being meek should never require us to be someones doormat.  I'm sure that Jesus would not require that from me except for His own reasons.  Anyone who knows me will testify that I am about as meek as a enraged tiger at times.  Sure, I can be meek when needed.  Remember, meek is never weak.  That must be the Jesus in me.

7And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being
Genesis 2: 7 NKJV 

~Scott~ 

No comments: