Sunday, November 17, 2019

O Daughters



27So God created man ain His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
Genesis 1: 27 NKJV 

I read the other day the God Journey podcast of how Wayne Jacobsen and his sidekick were entering into the "minefield" discussion of women in ministry.  Specifically, does that scripture we hold so dear actually forbid women to share their gifts with the body of Christ?  My first thought was, is this how far we've come as far as christians?  If so, then we're a large group of hypocrites.  It is beliefs such as this that cause others to slam christianity as hypocritical.  On one hand we preach that God created men and women, while in the next breath we are downgrading His very creation as somehow not worthy.  Why would allowing women to share their God given gifts be considered a taboo subject?  Are we some middle eastern hocus pocus religion that demeans women?  Of course, that got me thinking more and more about how it is that we treat women among us.  As a man, I will say that I enjoy having women around.  In both a physical and humanity nature, women are a damn good thing.  The apostle Peter describes a woman as the "weaker vessel" deserving of honor and understanding.  Now, before any radical feminists add me to their hate list, it is not I who created this situation.  If you have a issue with how men and women were created, take it up with God.  I don't believe that Peter was refering to women as inferior, only that they have been created as a "weaker vessel" (physical body).  Now, I'll also say that I have met more than a few women in my time who could give me a serious butt kicking.  Not all women are weak, meek and passive, just as not all men are strong and mighty.  So, before I digress much further, why is it that we as christians are so hard set on seeing women as inferior?  Why are we as a society so intent on seeing women as second class christians?  Good question.  I'm thinking that part of my own history will shed some light on this subject.  See, not that long ago I was one of those macho God men who believed that women were to sit quiet in church while the men ran things.  Not only that, I also saw women as simply there for me to enjoy.  Seriously, why else would God have created women but for His creation to enjoy?  Twisted thinking I know, but that's how I rationalized my beliefs.  I had no issues going to a strip club and seeing a woman as something for my own enjoyment then waking up for church the next morning.  That was my view of things.

28There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
Galations 3: 28 NKJV 

One in Christ Jesus?  Those words hit me like a rock the first time I heard them.  Of course, I thought there was no way that Christ could be anywhere near me the way that I was.  I was a sinner, He was holy, yada yada yada.  That was my understanding of all things christian anyway.  What I failed to realize is that the truth of Christ in me transcends what we've come to  know as christianity.  Man made religions are no match for the reality of Christ in us.  That's right, I said US.  Men, women, goat, tree everything!  Nowhere is this made more clear than by the apostle Paul in Galations.  There is neither male nor female...for we are ALL one in Christ.  If only I had known this truth earlier in life.  I'm thinking that I could have avoided some pretty bad feelings.  Indeed, this is another truth which many will find difficult to accept.  The truth that Jesus (God) is "all in all."  That is, that each and every part of our Lords creation not only bears His fingerprint, but that is a part of Him.  As a child is part of it's parent, so are we one with our creator.  We should not think along those human driven ways of male and female, but as members of our Lords creation.  For it is the Spirit of Christ Jesus who dwells in us all.  I believe that this is why Peter described the female as deserving of honor, for she also is the vessel of Christ as we are.  There is no difference.  Not the type of equality the radical feminists were looking for, but something more special.  Christ, all in all.  

 Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you. Everywhere. Here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere. Yes, even between the land and the ship.
~Yoda~ 

~Scott~ 

No comments: