Sunday, December 1, 2019

My Worship



Therefore by Him let us continually offer the sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of our lips, giving thanks to His name.
Hebrews 13: 15 NKJV

Have you ever taken stock of how you worship God?  I mean, really thought about it in terms of is it appropriate?  Is there such a thing as appropriate worship?  The scriptures tell us in many places that we are to offer up praises to God, and in some cases it tells us how.  Here's another question, does God judge us on how we worship Him?  Will our reward be that much greater or less if we do not worship Him correctly?  I think not.  However, there are those who place a high standard on how we worship Him.  I have a friend who is critical of many modern praise and worship songs due to the fact that they follow the institutional theology.  Hello, that's the purpose.  I am not one who will be quick to criticize the music one listens to simply because of why they are listening in the first place.  Why are they listening?  To be closer to God, that's why.  Now, I know the knowledge of Christ in me, but that's not the point here.  I know that not only am I close to God, but that He lives in me {Galatians 2:20}.  So, if I know the truth of Jesus in me, am I prohibited from those worship songs that tell a contrary message?  Some would think so.  Don't count me in that crowd.  My feeling on this is whatever music the Lord chooses to lead someone to Him, that is His leading.  Who are we to interfere?  I recall listening to songs of the old Promise Keepers conferences because they were uplifting and drew my heart to Him.  Friends, not all of those songs proclaimed the message of Jesus in me.  I listened to them because they of how they made me feel.  I don't expect everyone to follow this model, but I also would like people to understand just why others listen to the music they do.  To tell someone what kind of music to praise God by is, well, institutional theology.

And as they went to tell His disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, "rejoice!" so they came and held Him by the feet and worshipped Him.
Matthew 28: 9 NKJV

Tell me this, when Jesus rose from the tomb, did He command those who saw Him in how they should worship Him?  HELL NO!  In fact, we're told that those who saw the risen Lord "held Him by the feet and worshipped Him."  Jesus didn't need any of that structured, church approved worship.  In fact, I would suggest that those who saw Him just praised Him naturally.  THIS is praise and worship of our Lord.  Non structured, organic and from the heart.  I have a friend who once claimed that one of the best versions of how great thou art was done by a small band at a conference we attended.  I would agree.  To me, it's not the substance, but the intent that we should find important.  What good is a church approved worship song if it does not speak to the hearts of those who are listening?  After all, that's what it's all about in the end, right?  There are many a worship song that I just don't get.  Somehow, I just don't feel a connection with the message.  Perhaps that is where my friend is coming from.  However, I still maintain that praise music will speak to the hearts of those our heavenly Father has chosen to hear His message.  Who knows, someone who hears that message may end up coming to the Lord.  Are we going to deny them that simply because we don't agree with the message of the song?  There have been many times in my life where a praise and worship song has brought my heart back to God when I needed it.  I'm sure others have similar testimonies as mine.  Yes, I know that most worship music does not carry the message of Christ in me, but that's not the point.  The point is not the message it sends, but the way our heavenly Father uses the music to bring others to Him.  I'm all for that.  I know that I might get a argument from my friend, but I expect that.  He's focused on the message and not the intent.  However, at the end of the day we both would agree that God will use many methods to bring to Him the hearts of those He desires.  That is my worship.

~Scott~


No comments: