Thursday, December 19, 2019

The Man Inside



"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galations 2: 20 NKJV

Ever wonder why you do the things you do?  Do you ever feel that God is so far away to even care about you?  I've been there.  I've heard from a few friends of mine who seem to be confused as to why they continue to sin despite Christ Jesus having already dealt with our sin issue.  Believe me, I used to wonder the very same thing.  Sure, Jesus died on that cross for the forgiveness of my sins, but why do I feel as if I continue to sin?  I suppose those are the key words for our consideration here.  Why is it that we FEEL as if we're still in our sin nature?  Of course, I already know that the old man I once was is now dead, having been put to death with Christ Jesus.  So what's left?  Well, I'll tell you, what's left is that man inside of each of us.  The apostle Paul touches on this in a few sections of scripture, such as his revelation that it is Christ who now lives in us {Galations 2: 20}.  He is the man inside.  Wait, you say that God cannot be in the presence of sin?  Well, if Jesus is indeed in us can we now say that we are without sin?  Pretty much.  Again, Paul enlightens us to the truth of Christ in us in Romans.  Indeed, it is our "body of sin" which was put to death with Christ{Romans 6:6}.  So, why is it that we feel as if we continue to sin when we are now dead to sin? {Romans 6:11}.  Well, I will say that we have been constantly reminded of this by church theology throughout the years.  Not wanting to share the truth of Christ, the institutional church has continued preaching a theology of our own separation from God.  This, of course, is a bald faced lie perpetrated by flowing robes in pulpits.  Dare I say wolves in sheeps clothing?  Jesus Himself warned us against such antics from the elders of His day.  The time may be long ago, but the lie remains the same.  Jesus called these people for who they were...ravenous wolves {Matthew 7:15}.  Now, I don't blame others for following this lie...to each his own.  I also know enough to understand that God, as He did for me, will reveal Himself to those He chooses.  Indeed, I fell for the church theology hook line and sinker in my early years.  It was all that I knew.  Imagine my shock when a dear friend of mine who continues to ask to remain nameless approached me with the truth of Christ in me.  You mean I no longer had to work for Gods approval?  How sweet is that??  The beautiful part of this truth is...you don't need to work for our Lords approval either.

'Let them alone.  They are blind leaders of the blind.  And if the blind leads the blind, both will fall into a ditch."
Matthew 15: 14 NKJV

My intent here is not to bash the failings of church theology, but to point out that there is indeed freedom through Christ Jesus.  Indeed, I've never been able to find freedom through church theologies.  I've never had a pulpit pounder proclaim to me that Jesus lives in me.  So, you can see how I refused to see the truth of Christ for some time.  I will say that once it was revealed to me I felt a overwhelming sense of freedom.  Gone were those requirements and traditions which had stood in the way of my coming to know Him.  This is, after all, the desire of our heavenly Father, that we will be one with Him.  Jesus professed this in the garden as he prayed {John 17:21}.  His desire was never to let His children compete for His favor.  That isn't who He is.  Who God is...is Love {1 John 4:8}.  Love never requires one to jump through hoops to curry the favor of another.  Love never turns its back on another simply because of a misstep.  I've always seen the story of the prodigal son as the perfect example of our Lords love for His children.  Despite all that the fathers son had done, his father still welcomed him home with love.  This is exactly how our heavenly Father sees us.  Despite all which we feel we may have done, He will always welcome us home with love.  We need not worry about how far away His is from us.  He is as close to us as the man inside.

~Scott~


No comments: