Sunday, December 22, 2019

Todays Exodus



Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the day approaching.
Hebrews 10: 25 NKJV

The word exodus, in its literal terms, means to leave or to depart.  It is a Greek word meaning literally the same thing as it does today, to exit or to depart.  Why is this important?  Well, I recently ran across a story not too long ago which decried the fact that young people were leaving the organized church in some good sized numbers.  A 2017 study by Lifeway Research found that 68% of young people who had been regular church attenders in high school, stop attending once they hit college age.  Although some do seem to return at a later time, this 68% figure seems to indicate a modern day exodus.  Many have asked, why are so many young people leaving the organized church?  I prefer to ask, why are people leaving our churches?  Perhaps in a answer to this question, a friend messaged me this week with a different question to ponder.  What is it that kept us in bondage all of those years?  Bondage?  Really?  How could one see a institution supposedly existing for the good of all as holding people in bondage?  Well, that was my old way of thinking.  See, I gave up on attending organized church some time ago.  My friend, upon his retirement, did the same.  So, what is it that keeps those who attend church regularly in bondage?  Well, I have an idea, but I thought it would be beneficial to look back at my own experience in the church.  In my experience, going to church on Sunday was expected.  There was no other option.  If you were a good Christian soldier, then you were to show up on Sundays to equip yourself against the evils of this world.  If you didn't feel that you needed to be in church, then it was assumed that perhaps you had fallen victim to Satan's treachery and were in drastic need of saving.  Forget the fact that for years you had been taught that Christ Jesus bled and died on the cross for the forgiveness of your sins.  Miss a week or two of church services and more than a few of your fellow believers would suddenly mob you with statements such as "God told me to tell you...".  Really?  People, if my heavenly Father really wanted me to know something important...don't you think He'd cut out the middle man and tell me directly?  For me, the final straw came during a Easter Sunday service.  When the pastor had finished his flowery sermon on how the risen Christ had set me free from all of my iniquities, he followed it up by asking all to come forward to seek the Lords "forgiveness" for anything we may have done.  I was done with organized church.

For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers.  All things were created through Him and for Him.
Colossians 1: 16 NKJV

I'm thinking that after relating my own church experience that those who read this will be able to shed some light as to why so many people are leaving the organized church.  One of the key words I use in describing the church is "organized."  For there have been many a home based gathering which have brought others closer to knowing Jesus.  Sadly, I never saw that in all of my time in organized church.  Relationship with Christ is not preached all that much.  Granted, we're taught that if we live right, act righteous and attend church, that we can definately "be like" Jesus at some point.  Well, the truth of Christ Jesus they refuse to tell us is that we are already like Jesus.  It is Christ, the apostle Paul tells us, that lives in us {Galatians 2:20}.  I can understand why the church holds off on proclaiming this truth.  For if they were to reveal it, what would we then need pastors and the church for?  Think about it, not only are we in the very presence of Christ daily, but all that we once were...is now dead.  That's right, Paul tells us that we should now reckon ourselves "dead indeed to sin"{Romans 6:11}.  We no longer need to worry about not being good enough, righteous enough or more well behaved in Gods eyes.  When God now looks upon us, He only sees His beloved Son.  That's the freedom we find in Christ.  There is nowhere where our Lord requires us to attend church in order to gain His approval, we already have that.  There may be times when we feel as if our human behaviors have tossed us off course and that God is frowning upon us, but this is simply another lie of our accuser.  It is in these times where we are simply forgetting who it is we are in Christ.  Trust me, it's easy to do at times.  Now, I agree the organized church still serves a purpose as far as fellowship, but that's where my support ends.  With all of its traditions and ceremonial trappings, it's no wonder the exodus is upon us.

~Scott~


No comments: