Friday, August 21, 2020

Good Morning Jesus



"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galatians 2: 20 NKJV

Recently, talk radio host Rush Limbaugh has taken to mentioning to his audience that he wakes up each day thanking the Lord that he is alive to enjoy his life for one more day.  This is understandable, as Limbaugh was recently diagnosed with a severe form of lung cancer.  However, not wanting to live the rest of his life as a victim, Rush has decided to do battle with the disease that afflicts him.  At least up until this point, his recovery has been going well.  I thought it pointed that this man who is admired by millions would consider himself humble enough to realize that each day is but a gift which we are given by our creator.  I've recently taken this a step further by facing each morning by proclaiming "Good morning Jesus!"  For those who are unfamiliar, there is more to this phrase than meets the eye.  Indeed, I face each new day with the realization of who it is that I truly am.  My identity does not lie with all which I've accomplished, but with Christ Jesus who lives in me.  The apostle Paul gives the best illustration of the knowing we have of Christ in us in Galatians.  It is here where Paul claims boldly, "It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me."  When we come to the realization of what Paul is attempting to show us, we began to see not only ourselves but the lives we live much differently.  How wonderful it is to live in the reality that you are one in Christ and He is one in you.  I think of all of the misguided messages which I have bought into over the years which have run totally contrary to the truth which has always been in me.  That I am not worthy.  That God could never have a intimate relationship with a sinner like me.  These thoughts, as untrue as they are, wreak havoc upon the lives of believers and non believers alike.  Can you imagine waking up each day feeling as if your behaviors are a barrier between yourself and the love of Jesus?  Well, that was me not so long ago.  My addictions of the flesh had my thoughts wired contrary to the truth.  Of course, the one place I trusted to find some acknowledgement that I was indeed special to God was the one place where I was told that my sins were a barrier to being close to Him.  As with all the negative thoughts I had of myself, this too was a lie.

Knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin.  For he who has died has been freed from sin.  Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more.  Death no longer has dominion over Him.  For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God.  Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6: 6 - 11 NKJV

I'm quite certain that I am not alone as one who has had negative thoughts and feelings about myself at one time or another.  I have never met someone who can claim anything but.  However, those I have come across usually fall into one of two types of people.  Those who simply accept the lie that God has somehow created a inferior product.  Or, those who stand in faith by the word of God that we are lovingly created in His very image {Genesis 1:27}.  Indeed, if we are of the belief that God has created everything perfect, then we must include ourselves in that conversation as well.  There are those who will say, "But what about my sin?"  Yeah, what about it?  Are we to believe that a creator who created everything perfect and for it's own purpose also did not have a purpose for sin as well?  What is sin?  Well, that may be a conversation for another time, but I believe that the idea of sin is when we commit a transgression against God.  We see this in the original lie of Satan {Genesis 3: 4-5}.  Satan knew the truth, that Adam and Eve were in union with the Lord in the garden.  However, being as this was all which they had ever known, Adam and Eve were more than likely oblivious to this.  So, could God have used sin (which he also created) to open the eyes of His creation?  Definitely.  For those who also struggle with the feelings of their own sin and shortcomings getting in the way of coming to know God I offer some much needed advice.  It is through Christ and Christ alone that our sins are not only forgiven, but that we are no longer beholden to them {Romans 6:6}.  For Jesus died on the cross "that the body of sin might be done away with."  It is Jesus who became sin that this would be possible {2 Corinthians 5:21}.  The most perfect realization which we can have is that not only were we lovingly created, but that it is God who lives in us.  Good morning Jesus.

~Scott~

No comments: