Sunday, February 21, 2021

Demons

 




For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps.

1 Peter 2: 21 NKJV 


I had a rather short conversation with a coworker this week.  From the moment I saw him, I knew that he was troubled by something.  He said that as he was leaving home that he had been delayed by a over excited wife (Family friendly words used to protect sensitive ears).  He said that I was fortunate not to have to deal with this type of thing.  Honestly, my very first thought was, "Well, everyone has their own demons to deal with."  I might not be privy to the relationship challenges that a marriage will bring, but trust me when I say that I have my own challenges to deal with in my life.  My friends will jokingly tell me that I have never known the meaning of the oft used phrase "Yes, dear."  Well, they may not know the importance of another phrase I deal with quite often...Do it or it will not get done.  See my meaning?  I'm not ashamed of longing for the relationship which a marriage will bring,  However, I'm also not that foolish to believe that I have my own set of challenges in my own life.  Every now and then I look upon the words of Christ when He inclined those who were listening to "follow Me" {Matthew 8:22, Matthew 9:9, Matthew 16:24}.  What was Jesus doing in these situations?  Well, I believe that He was persuading those whom He was speaking with to forget their present situations and set their attention upon Him.  When Jesus invited those fisherman to follow Him, He was inviting them to leave behind them a life they had always known for one that was, I'm sure, uncertain.  In terms of my recent life situations, following in the steps of Jesus would seem much more desirable than remaining smack dab where I am.  Desirable...but not comfortable.  Isn't this why so many of us stay stuck in our ruts in life?  Because it is more comfortable for us?  I have found this to be true in many ways.  One more reason to heed the call of Christ and follow Him.


Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny Himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.  For whoever desires to save His life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.  For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?  Or what will a man give in exchange for his own soul?"

Matthew 16: 24 - 26 NKJV 


I've heard far too many people speaking on life paths.  Of how one mans life path led him to prosperity while another mans path led him to ruin.  It's all crap in my book.  For what are life paths but those decisions we each ultimately make?  As they say, decisions have consequences.  You might be stuck in a dead end job with no hope for a future, but whose fault is that?  Jesus presented the young fishermen He encountered by the sea with a different path than the one they had always known.  How many of those young men had grumbled about bad fishing days, wishing that they were working somewhere else?  Then, along comes Jesus and shows them a new path.  Coincidence?  

Not long ago I was asked by a friend of mine to speak to his group of youth workers.  These kids were not what you would consider to be honor roll kids, for many of them had their own share of tough breaks in life.  Well, ever since he asked me, I've been struggling with just what it was I might say to a group of kids who have more than likely faced far too many broken promises from adults in their life.  This week that answer was revealed to me.  My task is not to reform these young kids, but to offer them a new and different path.  They've tried the path they're on for awhile, now the Lord has brought them to a place where another will be shown to them.  How will they react?  That I cannot say for certain.  A few centuries ago, Jesus led a group of common fishermen from the shores of the ocean into the greatest ministry of all time.  We all have those demons we deal with...but it is through Christ that we find freedom.  


"For I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me."  "Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink?  "When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You?  'Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?'  "And the King will answer and say to them, 'Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to Me.' 

Matthew 25: 35 - 40 NKJV 


~Scott~ 

No comments: