Saturday, February 6, 2021

The Hearts Ransom

 




"Indeed the hour is coming, yes, has now come, that you will be scattered, each to his own, and will leave Me alone.  And yet I am not alone, because the Father is with Me.  "These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace.  In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world."

John 16: 32 - 33 NKJV 


Loneliness is a bad thing.  I don't think I'd get too much argument were I to say that we humans were designed to be social beings.  That is, to interact with those around us.  I was painfully reminded of this this week while talking with a friend o mine.  It seems that my friends daughter was having difficulty fitting in with her middle school crowd.  Now, if there is one thing that many parents know it's that fitting in and being popular is a paramount issue with school age kids.  To be accepted.  To be somebody.  These are all things that school aged children seek.  In a way, we all look for that.  Anyway, my friend shared with me that his daughter had come home in tears recently because a good portion of her classmates didn't seem to want to hang out with her.  Even after she brought them treats to somehow win their favor.  So, this girl was told that she could perhaps join the "in" group if she were to do something for them?  I almost jumped out of my shoes in anger upon hearing her father describe this.  I cannot imagine the pain she must have felt after being led to believe that she was indeed important, only to be ignored once the ransom had been delivered.  Now, my friend is a good God fearing man so he was able to assure his little  girl that the love which Christ has for her would never change.   Indeed, I can empathize with this little on because I've been in that same situation before.  Wondering if I would ever be accepted by those around me.  I think that these are fears which we all have at one time or another.  As I said, we were lovingly designed by our heavenly Father to be social creatures.  But, I also believe that there is a reason for that.  I believe that we were created in this way that we would not only have a relationship with God, but with each other as well.  


For I am persuaded that neither life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 8: 38 - 39 NKJV 


I remember watching a documentary not too long ago of a navy pilot who was shot down over North Vietnam in the closing days of the Vietnam war and spent the remainder of the conflict as a prisoner of war.  When asked what the toughest part of his captivity had been he didn't hesitate in his answer...the loneliness of solitary confinement.  Indeed, this man tolerated the beatings and abuse through the training he had received.  However, when it came to the long hours alone in his small cell, he was unprepared for that.  It is no secret, as our heavenly Fathers creation we are meant to interact socially with those around us.  How else can Jesus be known to the world around us?  It was the apostle Paul who assured us of the indwelling Christ in us {Galatians 2:20}.  Could it be that we have been designed as social beings in order that we might introduce the world to Jesus?  It does seem more than possible.  For once the world around us realizes the truth of Christ in us, then seeing Jesus in each and every person will be that much easier.  Unfortunately, we haven't come to that point quite yet.  Of course, that should not discourage us from displaying Christ in all that we do.  In all of our interactions we should take the opportunity to once again introduce someone to the reality of Jesus.  I can honestly say that Jesus isn't some dead guy who sits in heaven waiting for me to screw up once again.  On the contrary, Jesus is alive and well in me.  I can only imagine what the response of my friends daughter would have been had she known in her heart that Jesus is within her.  We will never need to purchase anyone's friendship.  Christ already paid that ransom.


"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."

Galatians 2: 20 NKJV 


~Scott~

No comments: