Friday, February 26, 2021

What I Know About Jesus




 "I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."

Galatians 2: 20 NKJV 


I recall an old bumper sticker which became popular not too long ago which simply stated, "My boss is a Jewish carpenter."  I couldn't agree more.  Yet, every now and then someone will ask me that question once again.  What do you know about Jesus?  Well, is everything we need to know about Jesus written out in scripture?  Maybe, but there's definitely more to Jesus than just a few narrations on the pages.  I would suggest that what we need to know about Christ may indeed be found on the pages of the bible, yet what we need to understand Him will ultimately be revealed to us by the Father.  Because there is definitely a difference between knowing the history of Jesus and to understanding Jesus the man.  We know that Jesus was persecuted, crucified and rose again after three days in the tomb.  Yet, do we understand totally why it is that things worked out this way?  It's not so that He could be guaranteed a seat by the Fathers side, that was without doubt.  In time we understand that Jesus became sin that we would not suffer its punishment {2 Corinthians 5:21}.  We will understand that it is Jesus who defeated death once and for all {Romans 6:9}.  There is an old saying that tells us that being "book smart" isn't always a good thing.  For one also needs the value of experience to compliment his knowledge.  It is the same way with our knowledge (or lack thereof) of Jesus.  It wasn't that long ago where my own understanding of Jesus centered around the narrative of whichever church I was in at the time.  I had read the scripture.  Jesus died for the forgiveness of sins.  Upon His death He was raised three days later to ascend into heaven.  This was how I saw Jesus, with Him in heaven and me stuck here on a sinful earth.  I can honestly say that at this point I knew Jesus, but I didn't understand who He was.  I didn't understand that it was out of His love for me that He gave Himself in my place upon the cross.  Of course, one of the biggest things I did not understand about Jesus was that we were not separated at all.  The apostle Paul tells us this in a few places in scripture.  It is Paul who claims that it is Christ Jesus who now lives in us {Galatians 2:20}.  This is the Jesus I know.


"Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.  

John 15: 13 NKJV 


As I said, there is a difference in the Jesus I thought I knew and the Jesus I know today.  The Jesus I know today is the Christ who has been revealed to me over time.  This is the Jesus I though I knew, yet did not understand.  It is my wish that each and every church would shout this truth of the Jesus I know from the rooftops, but I know that won't happen anytime soon.  When people ask us who Jesus is, we should be able to explain more about Him than just a few pages quoted from scripture.  Yes, the scriptures guide us to Him, but is is through the Fathers leading that we come to understand who Jesus truly is.  If I were to rely upon scripture, Jesus to me would be looking down upon me from heaven waiting for me to sin once again.  That's not who He is.  If I relied upon scripture, I would never have understood the relationship and togetherness I now share with Jesus.  As I've said, the scriptures tell us about Jesus, but the Fathers revelation shows us who He is.  For who would know more about the Son than the Father?  I can quote scripture to someone all day long and they will be no closer to knowing the Jesus that I know.  This was exemplified in my own search for who Jesus is.  My good friend showed me more than a few scriptures which spoke to who Jesus is, yet I only began to understand this truth over time with the Fathers revelation.  Paul speaks to this as well when he describes his own conversion as "when it pleased God" {Galatians 1:15}.  Paul definitely knew the scriptures of his day, but it brought him no closer to knowing Jesus.  


But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb and called me through His grace, to reveal His Son in me, that I might preach Him among the Gentiles. 

Galatians 15: 15 - 16 NKJV 


~Scott~ 

No comments: