Thursday, June 10, 2021

Fighting Soldiers

 




The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

~George S Patton Jr.~ 


Every so often it escapes my notice that each day I slog into a battlefield where my enemy seeks my destruction.  This isn't a traditional battlefield, but has nonetheless been with us for thousands of years.  The veterans of these battles are people such as us.  Bankers, lawyers, retired workers, the homeless.  It is not a traditional war, but make no mistake, it is a war nonetheless.  We do not war against that which we can see, but against those in the heavens {Ephesians 6:12}.  I recall listening to a sermon or two on the benefits of the spiritual armor of God as we fight the fight against Satan and his emissaries.  We have the breastplate of righteousness {Ephesians 10:14}.  We protect ourselves with the shield of faith {Ephesians 10:16}.  Finally, we are to put on the helmet of salvation {Ephesians 10:17}.  Is this the apostle Paul's call to battle, or simply a reminder to the believer of who they truly are?  For along with this armor of God comes other things which the armor symbolizes.  Truth, the gospel of peace and the word of God.  All of these are available to us in our own fight against the enemy.  So, here is my question, is one who does not realize he is at war even at war?  The scripture clearly tells us that we wage a war daily against those who wish to destroy us.  I've heard many people talk about how bad our society has become, yet I see this as a attack by the enemy.  Are we to expect anything less from a being who is bent on our destruction?  We're told that our enemy prowls about seeking whom he may devour {1 Peter 5:8}.  That's me, he's after me!  Not only that, but Satan continues his assault on believers and non believers alike.  If you are a child of God, it is guaranteed that Satan will seek to destroy you at some point.  The truth of the matter is that we are all Gods creation, even Satan himself.  Yes, Satan is a created being created by God.  Where things began to go south is when Satan began to see himself as separate from and better than God {Isaiah 14:12-13}.  As Satan proclaimed, he would "Be like the most high."  So, how did that work out?  Instead of being one of the most cherished angels of the Lord, Satan now spends his time seeking how he might be a thorn in the Lords side.  This is the spiritual battle.  


For whatever is born of God overcomes the world.  And this is the victory that has overcome the world-our faith.  Who is he who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?

1 John 5: 4 - 5 NKJV 


I asked myself the question the other day as I took notes on this page.  Would Satan ever attack God directly?  Some would call this a losing proposition, yet I say that Satan attacks God with all of his assembled forces every day.  The apostle Paul introduces us to the reality of Christ Jesus living in us {Galatians 2:20}.  Therefore, if Christ is in us and Satan rallies his minions against us, isn't Satan attacking God directly?  Spiritual warfare my friends.  We are assured of the truth that it is Christ Jesus who now lives within us.  Despite this truth, Satan continues his assault on all who would trust in the Lord.  He is also a brilliant master of disguise, making himself look like the angel he once was {2 Corinthians 11:14}.  Yet I do not look at what is displayed against me, but what my victory is through Christ will be.  A good friend once told me, "When Satan reminds you of your past, remind him of his future!"  For Satan knows all too well what his future holds {Revelation 21:8}.  He already knows that he's on the losing end of this deal, he's simply trying to take as many of God's children down with him as he can.  For me the choice is simple, and I've already made it.  Jesus lives in me and I live my life as Him.  How wonderful does the world look, and do you trust the guy who's bent on destroying you? 


And I will put enmity between you and the woman, And between your seed and her seed; He shall bruise your head, And you shall bruise his heel." 

Genesis 3: 15 NKJV 


~Scott~ 

No comments: