Saturday, June 19, 2021

No Place For Fighting Men

 




Therefore we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.  

Ephesians 6: 12 NKJV 


A lot can be said of a man who is prepared for battle.  He is alert, prepared and mindful of the task that lies before him.  I was reminded of that this week as a radio preacher began talking about the spiritual armor of God which the apostle Paul tells us of in Ephesians.  If I were to ask of Paul one question it would be this, "Paul, if we are assured of our own future in Christ Jesus, why is there a spiritual war?'  That's my question for today.  I have spent many a hour in scripture and prayer coming to the conclusion that Jesus indeed lives in me as Paul tells us{Galatians 2:20}.  So, if Christ is in me, do I still need to continue to fight?  If we are assured of our future in Jesus, is there really a battle we are waging?  Is this simply another example of institutional church theology, or is this spiritual conflict something we need to take seriously?  Let me just say that I am assured that Christ lives in me, and yet I am almost as equally sure that there is indeed credence to this idea of a spiritual conflict.  We're told that Satan prowls about seeking whom he may devour {1 Peter 5:8}.  It is Paul who warns young Timothy of the evils of the spiritual war.  It seems that Paul was under no pretense that even though his own future was assured, that the battle raged on.  I'm sure that many believers can attest to the individual battles of this conflict.  I know I can.  However, I believe that we need to look at the battle from the right perspective in order to get a better understanding of what is going on here.  Do you believe that you yourself are in a spiritual battle?  I would say...make your decision wisely.  For is it you who is waging this war...or is it Christ Jesus in us who wages the war on our behalf?  My money is on Jesus.  For if we stick to the belief that we are locked in a battle with the devil, we deny the truth that Jesus in fact lives in us.  Yes, my life circumstances can at times make me feel as if I am in a spiritual conflict, but it is Christ who is in the thick of the battle.  Not only did He give Himself for me, He continues to fight for me.  


For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh.  For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ.

2 Corinthians 10: 3 - 5 NKJV 


Almost every pastor I have listened to about Paul's description of spiritual warfare has come from the perspective that we ourselves are locked in this battle.  Of course, this has raised more than a few worries for me over the years.  What if I fail?  At what point does Jesus intervene?  Does anyone see the folly of this way of thinking?  If we are to believe that we alone are locked in this battle, then we have come to the conclusion that Christ is not really in us, but with the Father in heaven.  It is this idea of separation between ourselves and God that has messed up many a believer.  Who is the author of this way of thinking?  None other than your adversary.  It is in the garden where Satan poisoned our beliefs by suggesting that if Adam and Eve were to eat of the forbidden tree that they, 'Will not surely die' {Genesis 3:4}.  Then Satan doubles down and suggests that if they were to eat of the fruit that they would, 'Be like God' {Genesis 3:5}.  That is the lie which has many a believer thinking that they are alone in their own spiritual battle against the devil.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  For what Adam and Eve failed to realize is that they were ALREADY like God.  Indeed, we were created in His image {Genesis 1:27}.  God has also breathed into each of us the breath of life {Genesis 2:7}.  What more can we say except that God has always been a intimate part of who we are.  And yet one lie, spoken often enough, has hijacked the truth.  I will agree with Paul in that we are continually involved in a spiritual conflict.  However, I will never subscribe to the belief that we wage this battle alone.  That battle is waged by Christ Jesus who is in  us.  


"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me." 

Galatians 2: 20 NKJV 


~Scott~ 

No comments: