Sunday, July 4, 2021

A Voice In The Wilderness

 




For this is he who was spoken of by the prophet Isaiah, saying: "The voice of one crying in the wilderness: 'Prepare the way of the Lord; Make His paths straight.' "

Matthew 3: 3 NKJV 


I've used the phrase "voice in the wilderness" in the past when someone would tell me that they got some understanding from one of my writings.  After all, that is what I am, a voice for Jesus in the wilderness of the world.  Most believers see Matthew 3:3 for what it is, as speaking of the man John the baptizer.  What makes me similar to he?  Well, John and I both speak the Lord to a world where far too few people know Him.  A good friend of mine who continues to remain nameless mentioned the other day of how we will use the revelation of the Jesus we know.  The Jesus we know as Christ in us {Galatians 2:20}.  In my last post I mentioned my friend Larry, who has retired after many years of service and stress.  I always knew Larry as a God fearing man, but now he has chosen to take his love for the Lord unto those around him as a chaplain.  Despite the fact that he has yet to receive the revelation of Jesus in him, the world needs more people like Larry.  More people who will step up and sound off about the living Christ.  I like to think that my use of this blog page does just that.  Through my writing, I am sharing the Christ Jesus that I have come to know.  Now, most believers are still not going to accept the Jesus I speak of.  For many continue to be locked in the traditional teachings of the institutional church, where Jesus died, rose on the third day and is now seated with the Father in heaven.  As I spoke to Larry this week, I was once again reminded of the strength of the church narrative.  He shook his head as I attempted to explain to him how it is Jesus who lives in us.  I'm fine with that, because now the seed for his future revelation has been planted by one voice in the wilderness.  My own revelation of Jesus in me did not come until later in life as well, so I do not expect my friend to be different.  As it was with the apostle Paul's revelation, so it is with us.


But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb and called me through His grace, to reveal His Son in me, that I might preach Him among the Gentiles. 

Galatians 1: 15 - 16 NKJV 


What I see in my friend is the excitement we often see in new Christians.  Those who are excited to have come to know the Lord and be among those who are forgiven.  Of course, once we come to know the Lord, we are often ensnared by the teachings and traditions of the church, which can water down our enthusiasm.  However, I won't beat that dead horse just yet.  For now I would rather focus on the question my friend wondered this week.  How will we use the revelation of the Christ Jesus we now know?  That is, the Jesus who lives in us.  Well, the obvious thing to do would be to tell as many people as we can about the freedom of living as Jesus.  This was never more obvious than a few years ago when we gathered at a friends home with a few fellow believers who all testified of the freedom they had found once they were away from the traditions and requirements of the church.  Now, I want to be clear that these people did not walk away from Jesus, only from those who were representing Him badly.  That seems to be the case in many of our houses of worship as church memberships are declining.  I haven't been inside a church in over ten years, yet I still believe in God and trust in Jesus who lives in me.  It seems that the only things I have given up are the requirements and traditions of the mainstream church.  I'm ok with that.  For in all of my years in the church, I've never come closer to knowing Jesus than I do today.  So, how is it that we will use the revelation of the Jesus we know?  Good question.  I believe that we can learn something from my conversation with Larry.  That planting the seed of Christ Jesus into someone's heart could very well lead to their own revelation.  At the end of the day, it is God who decides when that will happen.  


"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me." 

Galatians 2: 20 NKJV 


~Scott~ 

No comments: