Sunday, July 11, 2021

Singing Ourselves To God




 For even if there are so called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as there are many gods and many lords), yet for us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and through whom we live. 

1 Corinthians 8: 5 - 6 NKJV 


I was reminded once again this week of one of the reasons why I left the world of the mainstream church.  The other day a good friend forwarded me a article from Crosswalk written by a pastor who posed the question "Is your church worship more pagan than Christian?"  Immediately I was once again reminded of the issues I had with the praise and worship ministry in my former church.  For one, why was it elevated to ministry status at all?  The author, despite his church roots, does a good job in questioning the concepts of modern praise and worship music in the church.  I guess that I'm more than a bit biased, as I grew up singing traditional hymns in Sunday service.  Believe me, I would take How great thou art over some modern rock and roll version of amazing grace any day!  Yet, for many Christians, this is the new way of bringing people closer to God.  This is the experience that will open the believers eyes to the reality of the Father.  Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before.  The very idea that music can bring someone "closer to God" smacks of a man made system.  How about this, friend, try getting to know Jesus before you learn the verses of that next Christian rock tune.  I can sing all day long (not very well I might add), and still not be closer to Jesus than I've been all along.  See, it wasn't some flashy praise and worship music that brought me to the realization of Christ Jesus in me.  As a matter of fact, I don't believe that there are any modern praise and worship songs that speak to the reality of Christ in us.  My own realization of Christ in me was born out the Fathers revelation to me of His truth.  It was God who revealed His Son in me {Galatians 2:20}.  The very idea that a song can take the place of Jesus in bringing us to the Fathers presence should border on heresy.  For we are told that there is but one mediator between God and man, and that is Christ {1 Timothy 2:5}.  Jesus also tells us that it is He Himself who brings people to the Father {John 14:6}.  I don't ever recall Jesus singing a song to draw near to God.  


For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.

2 Timothy 4: 3 - 4 NKJV 


The apostle Paul had a warning for young Timothy.  He warned his apprentice to be aware of those believers among them who might desire for themselves another gospel.  A gospel more in tune with what they wanted to hear.  Sound familiar?  The author further sounds the alarm by stating that in many Christian houses of worship, the importance of hearing the written word has become marginalized, replaced by the banging guitars and flashy light effects of modern praise and worship music.  Somehow, this music is supposed to instill in believers that feeling that they are "being close" to God.  Again, nothing about Christ in us is taught, or sang about for that matter.  And what of the leaders and band members of these Christian rock bands?  Well, they become even more popular than the pastor in most cases.  Again, I've seen this unfold with my own eyes in my former church.  Indeed, this was one of the reasons why I gave up on organized church.  Notice that I never gave up on Christ Jesus, just on those who were representing Him badly.  


"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."

Galatians 2: 20 NKJV 


~Scott~ 

No comments: