Saturday, September 11, 2021

My Way

 




"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."

Galatians 2: 20 NKJV


I recently overheard a radio pastor lament that so many people, for their funeral music, chose the song "I did it my way" by the late Frank Sinatra.  For obvious reasons, this choice of music does not seem prudent for the believer.  Yet, I would not be surprised if a few Christians were to choose to celebrate that they'd chosen to live their lives their way.  Of course, more than a few of us can claim that we've lived our lives on our own terms, but is this really the case?  If we dare take this song with us to the grave, can we be assured that we will be vindicated for living our lives our way?  I'd say no.  Why?  Because many of us, Christians and non, have had more than our share help along the way.  Indeed, if we are to believe that we ourselves were responsible for the outcome of our life, then we miss the entire point of where our identity truly lies.  The apostle Paul reminds us of this truth in Galatians when he speaks to the truth of Christ Jesus in us {Galatians 2:20}.  So tell me, if Jesus lives in you, how is it that you can come anywhere close to living life on your own terms?  If Christ experiences each and every moment of your life as you do, how is it that we can lay claim that we did it "Our way?"  I am not afraid to say that I have had a  lot of help along the way in my own life.  For were it not for Christ in me, I would never have realized the person I really am inside.  Were it not for Christ in me, I never would have been aware that this life of mine is not just a collection of random events or cosmic happenings.  There is more to me than the occasional occurrence of happenstance.  


And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, "Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people.  He Himself will be with them and be their God." 

Revelation 21: 3 NKJV


What is the origin of the belief that we ourselves are separate from God?  Well, that goes all the way back to the fall in the garden of Eden.  It is here where mankind forsakes the instructions of the Lord and chooses for himself which way he will go.  Adam and Eve chose to believe in the lie of the deceiver instead of the love of the creator.  This lie perpetuates itself in all of Christianity today.  How many sermons have you sat through in which God is described as living far off in heaven while His children toil away on earth?  Separation.  This is exactly why the truth Paul spoke of his one true identity has been described as the "mystery among the Gentiles."  What is that mystery?  Christ Jesus in us, the hope of Glory {Colossians 1:27}.  Too many Christians back away from this truth because of the elephant in the room...sin.  Well, Paul had a few things to say about sin as well.  One of his main comments was that we should now consider ourselves "dead indeed to sin" {Romans 6:11}.  Indeed, if Christ has become sin in our place and put it to death at the cross, why then do we continue to dig up its  old bones as if sin still had meaning for us?  Because it feeds the lie of the deceiver.  The truth is, I have never done it "My way" nor will I celebrate this fact.  I will rejoice in the revelation I have received of my one true identity...Christ Jesus.  


To them God willed to make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles: which is Christ in you, the hope of glory. 

Colossians 1: 27 NKJV 


~Scott~ 

No comments: