Sunday, September 5, 2021

Someone Else's Problem

 




Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted.  Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.  For if anyone thinks himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself.  But let each one examine his own work, and then he will have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another.  For each shall bear his own load.  

Galatians 6: 1 - 5 NKJV 


Let's see a show of hands, who likes accountability?  Anyone?  Well, like it or not, it's something we all face in one way or another.  I was involved in a conversation this past week with a friend.  Now, at the time I was going through a rough spot and was wondering how on earth I was going to come through the other side.  For his part, my friend thought I was making more of my situation than I ought.  Perhaps, but this was my personal journey, and it felt personal to me.  Fast forward to later in the week, and my friend is having major difficulties with a issue at work.  Isn't that his problem?  No, it's something I shared in with him as he went through it.  So, which one of us in our own situations was showing brotherly compassion?  I'd say both in our own unique way.  What far too many people forget in times like this is that everyone's pain is personal to them.  You might not be aware of what I'm struggling with today, but nonetheless, I'm going through it.  I have always appreciated my dear friends who, when I open that door and let them into what I'm enduring, take the time to assure me that they understand my struggle.  Haven't we all been there?  Of course we have.  We've all gone through the trials of life every now and then.  Who the hell needs someone to come along and tell us that our struggle isn't worth any compassion we might receive?  I find people like that to be self centered and only worried about themselves.  Nevertheless, they are brethren, so I try to remember that when they seek my advice.  There is a reason that Jesus instructed us to "Go the second mile" {Matthew 5:41}.  In all honesty, Jesus was addressing the issue revenge and retribution.  A "Eye for an eye" if you will.  Yet, another radical concept is this, let God deal with it {Romans 2:6}.  Indeed, it has never been our place to judge anyone.  


If someone says, "I love God," and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen?

1 John 4: 20 NKJV 


Honestly, believing that someone else's issue is not worth compassion is a far fetch from believing in a eye for an eye isn't it?  Yet, when we take on each others burdens aren't we exhibiting the love of Christ to them?  Would the world even know Jesus were it not for His work through Gods children?  Confused?  I get it.  The apostle Paul referred to this as the "mystery among the gentiles" {Colossians 1:27}.  What is this mystery?  Christ in us, the hope of glory {Colossians 1:27}.  Paul goes further into this concept as he describes that it is Christ Jesus who lives in him {Galatians 2:20}.  So, is it really that hard to imagine that Jesus could work through us?  Could Jesus, who lives in us, do all things?  I would tend to agree that He can and will do all things through us.  I believe that one of the barriers to people not exhibiting the compassion of Christ is their failure to see Christ in themselves.  If we do not see Jesus in ourselves, we hold fast to the church narrative that He is separated from us.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  For it is Jesus who lives and works through us each day.  Was Christ in my friend when he did not see my issues as being all that important?  Absolutely, he just wasn't aware of Him.  I do not fault him for that.  Seeing someone else struggle through life has never been someone else's problem.  What it is is the Lords leading for us to show Jesus to them.  


"I don't need to punish people for sin.  Sin is it's own punishment, devouring you from the inside.  It's not My purpose to punish it; it's My joy to cure it."

William P Young ~The Shack~ 


~Scott~ 

No comments: