Saturday, November 6, 2021

Looking For Jesus

 




"God, who made the world and everything in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands.  Nor is He worshipped with men's hands, as though He needed anything, since He gives to all life, breath and all things.  And He has made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth, and has determined their preappointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings, so that they should seek the Lord, in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us."

Acts 17: 24 - 27 NKJV 


Where is it that you look for the Lord?  Is it in church?  Do you seek Him in a that arena where you went to that revival men's conference that one time?  Wherever it is that you look for God, I can tell you that if it is man made, you're barking up the wrong tree.  I had a friend who once bragged about going to "Gods house" on Sunday mornings as if he half expected to meet and greet the Lord there.  Now, if this is what he expected, then I have no quarrel with that.  People will believe what they choose to believe in life.  However, when it comes to seeking God, we may want to keep one thing in mind.  That is, we've been going about it so wrong for so long.  As Christians, we have been taught that God indeed resides in His houses of worship.  The Israelites believed also that God resided in the inner sanctums of their temples which they constructed to worship Him.  It would seem logical right?  Gods presence in the midst of His people coming to know about Him.  Now, this may be true in some circumstances.  God indeed may be in the presence of His houses of worship.  My point is that we should not expect this to be the case for all churches.  Years ago, I would feel almost empty when I was outside of the church, as if God was far away from me.  That feeling always began to manifest itself as the weekly Sunday morning church service began to wind down.  I would soon be out of Gods house and step into a wicked world once again.  Sadly, many believers still see their spiritual lives in this way.  The church is the be all end all in their search for all things God.  


For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

Ephesians 2: 10 NKJV 


Have you ever wondered, or prayed, where you could find God?  I have.  I remember feeling frustrated that the love and forgiveness of the Lord seemed to be bypassing me as I walked out of church every Sunday.  It never failed, I could walk into church with all the confidence of a good Christian soldier only to have my hopes failed by a pulpit pounders sermon on unresolved sin issues.  How could I ever find God?  Well, it turns out that I was looking for Him in the wrong place.  The apostle Paul tells us that God does not dwell in temples made with hands {Acts 17:24}.  He also reminds us that we are created in Christ Jesus for good works {Ephesians 2:10}.  But the groundbreaking passage which Paul speaks to where we truly should look for God comes to us from Galatians.  Here, Paul describes his own identity not as a Christian believer...but as Christ Jesus who lives in him {Galatians 2:20}.  That's right, instead of looking to a man made structure to seek the Lord, we should be fixing our eyes within ourselves.  For it is God who has given us life {Genesis 1:27}.  As Joseph and Mary searched for a young Jesus in the city of Jerusalem and eventually asked Him where He had been, He replied that He had "Been about His Fathers business" {Luke 2:49}.  Why would things be any different today?  Isn't Jesus still about His Fathers business?  If you were to ask Jesus, what do you think His answer would be as to where you can find Him?  I have a hint...start by looking within. 


"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."

Galatians 2: 20 NKJV 


~Scott~   

No comments: