Sunday, November 21, 2021

Plantations Of Stone

 




However, the Most High does not dwell in temples made with hands, as the prophet says:

'Heaven is My throne, and the earth is My footstool.  What house will you build for Me?  says the LORD, Or what is the place of My rest?  Has My hand not made all these things?

Acts 7: 48 - 49 NKJV 


There is a simple sign in someone's front yard that I pass day after day in my travels.  I do not know the person (s), but if I were to guess I would say that they have had a negative experience somewhere along the line with religion.  The sign reads simply 'Religion = Genocide.'  Now, a few years ago I might have been ready to march up to this guys front door and defend my faith.  These days...not so much.  What changed?  Well, religion didn't change for sure that I can tell.  What changed was my own understanding of what religion is...and isn't.  I've sat through more than my share of Sunday morning sermons spoken by some pulpit pounder trying to preserve his own job.  I've endured many a ear splitting jam session by some new age praise and worship band whose purpose it was to draw people into church.  I've sat through far too many classes designed to explain and overcome the difficulties of life.  I've been there...I get it.  I have a better understanding now of what religion is.  The boring sermons, the loud music and the endless classes.  This is where our religious systems have brought us.  Judging from the tithing plates being passed around each Sunday, we're expected to pay for all of this as well.  So if religion is a system, what examples do we have of what religion is not?  Well, I'll come right out and say that religion, in my opinion, IS NOT genocide.  However, I will say that religion is akin to slavery.  Yes, the religious system as we know it is slavery.  Religion enslaves people into a belief that God is angry with them over their sin.  Not only that, despite the fact that Jesus died for our sins, we must constantly seek Fathers forgiveness for any "unseen" sin we may have engaged in.  Our religious system is a cult based on the guilt of our former life, not on the hope of our new creation {2 Corinthians 5:17}.  Now, onto what religion is not.  


"God, who made the world and everything in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands.  Nor is He worshipped with men's hands, as though He needed anything, since He gives to all life, breath and all things."  

Acts 17: 24 - 25 NKJV 


Let's make a checklist shall we.  On one list we will list all which our religious system has given to you.  On the other page we will then list all which the Lord has given to you.  Which list do you think is more impressive?  Which list do you think is more beneficial to you?  Has religion given you life?  Has religion ever given anything life?  I know that there will be more than a few hardcore religious types out there who will rattle off more than a few things which they feel that religion has given to us.  So I ask you, what has religion ever given to you that God has not already created?  This is one thing that religion is not...self sustaining.  The religious system needs the resources of people to survive.  In contrast, Jesus did not command those few fishermen to follow Him.  No, He simply invited them to 'Come and see' {John 1:39}.  This is the invitation which Christ gives to all who seek Him...come and see.  Religion is not freedom.  I have listened to far too many people who speak of freedom in the Lord while they continue to struggle with the forgotten sin which the pastor warned them about.  Don't be deceived, sin in itself is slavery.  However, God has dealt a death blow to sin through the finished work of Christ.  As a result, despite what the pastor tells you, we are no longer slaves to sin {Romans 6:6}.  I have found that true freedom does not come from how often we go to church.  We are not redeemed by how much we tithe.  True freedom only comes from our own realization of who we are.  The apostle Paul spoke to this reality in Galatians.  Paul explains that it is Jesus Himself who now lives in us {Galatians 2:20}.  Paul was a man raised in the religious system of his day.  If anyone knew religion...it was Paul.  Yet, somewhere on a road to Damascus, God decided it was time for Saul to throw away all he thought he knew about Him and to introduce him to His Son.  His offer still stands today.  Think you know God?  Come and see.


Then Jesus turned, and seeing them following, said to them, "What do you seek?"  They said to Him, "Rabbi (teacher), "Where are you staying?"  He said to them, "Come and see."  They came and saw where He was staying, and remained with Him that day.  

John 1: 38 - 39 NKJV 


~Scott~ 

No comments: