Saturday, November 27, 2021

Unlikely Suspects




 Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me.  And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient form you, for my strength is made perfect in weakness."  Therefore, most gladly I will boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake.  For when I am weak, then I am strong.  

2 Corinthians 12: 8 - 10 NKJV 


I figure I could have walked away with $2500.  The 1987 Minnesota Twins were 500-1 favorites to win the world series.  Nobody thought much of them in the preseason.  Sparky Andersons Detroit Tigers were the odds-on favorite to win the American League pennant.  Yet something funny happened once the regular season started; the Twins refused to go away quietly.  In fact, they ended up winning their division and defeating the Tigers in the playoffs to reach the World Series.  There, they outlasted Whitey Herzog's St. Louis Cardinals to win their first World Series ever.  Not bad for a 500-1 long shot.  What got me thinking of these Twins?  All of the times when we ourselves, or someone we know, has been convinced that they are an underdog.  That they simply cannot, no, WILL NOT, succeed.  We've all had those moments where we feel defeated even before we began.  The odds makers don't seem to be in our favor.  The crowd favorite seems set for yet another win.  But then something interesting happens.  The breeze blows just right to left field.  The ball travels a bit further until what seemed like another loss turns out in our favor.  The guys who make the odds call them underdogs.  Those who took it upon themselves to push a little harder.  To talk a bit louder in their quest for a win.  I know that I've had plenty of those underdog moments in my own life.  Moments where the power of Christ in me overpowers all which the oddsmakers said were against me.  So how is it that we could ever be seen as an underdog when we have the presence of Christ Jesus within us?  Probably because the guys who make the odds don't see Jesus as one who could make a difference.  I know better.  Then again, back in the day Jesus was seen as an underdog as well.  


"Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it.  Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it" 

Matthew 7: 13 - 14 NKJV 


How would you have seen a career Pharisee prone to persecuting the followers of Jesus?  What odds would you have given him to convert to himself being a follower of Christ?  Personally, I would have wagered at least 500-1 odds that the man Saul would come anywhere close to embracing the knowing of Jesus.  Well, as it turns out, I would have lost a bit of money there.  For on a dusty road to Damascus, everything fell into place as Saul was introduced to Christ Jesus, the very one he had persecuted for so long.  Had Saul somehow changed his view of Jesus?  No, but as with all underdogs, the Lord's timing played a crucial role.  Paul proclaims that his conversion only occurred when it pleased God {Galatians 1:15-16}.  Paul didn't work the odds in his favor.  There was nothing about his situation which was not entirely in the Lord's control.  Of course, this is the way it is with each and every underdog moment we will ever encounter.  In the background is the voice of Jesus proclaiming, "We got this."  You will have more than your share of negativity preaching souls in your lifetime.  The choice we have is whether to give them the time of day or listen to the voice of Christ in us.  His voice will be the one encouraging you and not placing odds against you.  


"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me"

Galatians 2: 20 NKJV 


~Scott~ 

No comments: