Thursday, February 10, 2022

Cowboys And Confidence



He said life's just like riding broncs it's a battle
Then he roIled a cigarette with shaky hands
Son I'll gladly take ten seconds in the saddle
For a lifetime of watching from the stands
~Ten Seconds In The Saddle, Chris Ledoux

was thinking this week of a conversation I shared with a good friend of mine some time ago.  A conversation which changed my life in a positive way.  It seems that I had broached the subject of the Lords promise (or my perception of such) that He would provide for me a suitable mate.  It was then that my friend asked the obvious question.  "Well, have you talked to anyone?"  Of course, I hadn't.  To say that I had a confidence issue was obvious.  My friend, being the outspoken guy which he is, correctly said that my future mate may not materialize were I not to open up a bit to others.  Well said.  He then proceeded to drag me through the fields of country music as he made his point.  It seems there was an old rodeo cowboy who was lamenting his fall from competitiveness over an old injury.  As he longed for the old days, he regaled the young bucks with his advice, 'I'd rather spend ten seconds in that saddle than a lifetime watching from the stands.'  How true!  How many of us have ever gotten anywhere by just sitting on the sidelines and watching?  The old cowboy's advice was simple, get involved, get moving, put yourself in that saddle.  I know that it sounds silly, but I contemplated this advice for quite a bit before deciding to climb into a saddle of my own.  The unknown carries with it things that we are not familiar with.  Perhaps this is why most of us look on from the stands for so long?  We've seen those cowboys get tossed from their saddles from mean, angry bulls and we want NO part of that action.  I get it.  Rejection is like that mean, angry bull.  We can mount our saddles all we want, but what about when we get thrown out?  Well, let's consider the old cowboys advice.  


But I learned a lesson that I'd never known

From this guy who'd been busted so bad

It's better to ride even if you get thrown

Than to wind up just wishing you had

~Ten Seconds In The Saddle, Chris Ledoux~ 


So, despite having been beaten and thrown, that old cowboy preferred the life of living his dreams and not just dreaming he had.  Because at the end of the day, woulda, coulda and shoulda never amounted to much in my opinion.  So, where did this leave me?  Well, for one thing it left me pondering the advice my friend had given me.  It also left me assured that I'd rather die trying than wishing I had!  How has the old cowboy's advice changed my life?  It made me realize that if I desire to compete, that I need to get back in the saddle.  If I desire the companionship of others, then I need to tear down the walls I've erected around myself and put myself out there.  That, in essence, was at the heart of the old cowboy's advice.  It's not just me, anyone can gain from these wise words.  Do you want to simply watch while others around you live life to its fullest?  Or, do you desire to stare that damn bull in the eyes and take your shot?  For me the choice now is simple.  Every now and then I'll find myself listening to the words of the song containing the old cowboy's advice.  I know that it is Jesus within me who is waiting for our next ride in the saddle.  


Not that we are competent of ourselves, to reckon anything as of ourselves, but our competency is of God.

2 Corinthians 3: 5 Concordant New Testament 


~Scott~ 

No comments: