Saturday, February 19, 2022

Giant Killers

 




Moreover David said, "The LORD, who delivered me from the paw of the lion and from the paw of the bear, He will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine."  And Saul said to David, "Go, and the LORD be with you!"

1 Samuel 17: 37 NKJV 


We've all seen them before.  Perhaps we may have even known a few of these brave souls.  Those who seemed to look defeat in the eye and shrug it off, knowing that there was a bigger purpose for them in that moment.  As young David prepared to fight the mighty Philistine, his heart was not on the imposing appearance of the mighty warrior.  No, Davids first thought was of defending the honor of Israel {1 Samuel 17:26}.  Then, while those around him shrank at the sight of the Philistine warrior, David ran forward towards him {1 Samuel 17:32}.  Obviously, David could not have known what lay ahead of him at this point.  If I were a betting man, my money would have been on Goliath defeating this upstart shepherd boy.  Then again, that's why we call them giant killers.  When others fall back, they rush forward.  Although David could not have known his fate in that moment, he was assured that the Lord God of Israel was with him {1 Samuel 17:37}.  This is the very same confidence which we can be assured of in our own times of battle.  But I'll do you one better.  While young David was assured that the Lord of Israel was in his corner, we can just as assured that Christ Jesus walks into battle with us.  The apostle Paul proclaims this truth of Christ in us in Galatians {Galatians 2:20}.  Knowing this, it is Jesus who fights the battle unfolding before us.  No matter the chaos going on around us, we do well to remember that we are not alone.  We do well to remember that we no longer exist.  In our place, Jesus lives.  


"This day the LORD you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you.  And this day I will give the carcasses on the Philistines to the birds of the air and the wild beasts of the earth, that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel." 

1 Samuel 17: 46 NKJV 


Just as David is about to slay the Philistine, we catch a glimpse into his motivation for taking up his sling against the giant.  "That all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel."  David knew the Lord.  He knew that the Lord was with him.  Of course, he definitely knew that by slaying this Philistine that those on hand to witness this battle would witness the power and glory of the Lord on display.  I find this important because as Jesus walks in my place during my times of battle, He does so with one mission in mind, that those around me would see the Father.  I have seen many times the assurance of those who have gone into times of trial knowing full well that no matter the outcome, it is Jesus who goes before them.  What greater blessing is this?  Knowing that Christ goes before us will not only assure us but alleviate all of the unnecessary stress and worry that comes with such things.  There is a reason that Jesus Himself calls on us not to worry {Matthew 5:32}.  Jesus knows the effects which stress and worry can have on our bodies.  Therefore, He urges us to avoid it at all costs.  I recently found myself thinking about this after a bout with sickness.  In these covid scare times, I know that I was safe from the omicron.  I'd been down that road before.  The previous week had been one of much stress and far too little sleep.  Therefore, when I felt the first signs of a cold, I knew that I had once again disregarded the advice of Jesus and decided to try it my way once again.  I know, good luck with that.  Yes, we've all heard of them.  The giant killers.  Those who charge into the arena seemingly without fear.  Yet greater is He who has overcome for the glory of the Father. 


"Jesus removed our sins and guarantees that we will be raised from the dead.  I'm still waiting on someone to enlighten me as to what story beats that one."

Phil Robertson 


~Scott~ 

No comments: