Sunday, March 6, 2022

Relics

 




Beware that no one shall be despoiling you through philosophy and empty seduction, in accord with human tradition, in accord with the elements of the world, and not in accord with Christ.

Colossians 2: 8, Concordant New Testament 


I had a conversation with a friend the other day which got me thinking about how some people see God.  My friend told me that he was happy to have the cross of Jesus to fall back to in times of trouble.  Now, I know this man and his family to be God fearing people, but what would cause him to make such a statement?  I asked him.  He told me that he believed that the cross was holy and special.  I get it.  Growing up, I was taught to treat the cross of Jesus as if it were an artifact, something the Lord had given to us to worship.  Yet I think that we've been misled once again.  For it is not the cross which is meant to be endeared to our hearts, but the man who died upon that Roman cross.  So it is that many symbols which we have grown accustomed to holding near to our faith at times replace the Lord in importance.  We worship the cross, forgetting that it is Christ Jesus who gave Himself for us {2 Corinthians 5:21}.  We gather in and admire the ornate temples and churches which we raise up, never understanding that God does not dwell in ornate places of worship {Acts 17:24}.  Now, does that mean that God's presence will not be found in those places of worship which we gather?  Absolutely not.  Jesus tells us that the presence of our Lord remains wherever two or more are gathered {Matthew 18:20}.  Yet I believe that the presence of the Lord is always with us, if we choose to realize it.  So what of all of the old relics which we continue to hold dear to our hearts?  The cross, those ornate stained glass windows or that old altar in front of the church?  Well, my position is if these physical things help to remind us of the truth of Christ in us then we're on the right path.  For example, when I see a image of the cross these days, I am reminded of the sacrifice of which Jesus willingly partook for me.  To me, the cross has never been the finish line for Jesus, but the starting point.  That old, broken wood cross is simply a relic.  The man who died upon it endures forever.  


To whom God wills to make known what are the glorious riches od this secret among the nations, which is: Christ among you, the expectation of glory. 

Colossians 1: 27, Concordant New Testament


Years ago, after moving to Portland from Minnesota, I spent some time searching for a suitable church to attend.  One day, while driving around, on the horizon I noticed a white cross rising from a building near the freeway.  At that moment, something within me assured me that this was the place I was looking for.  I ended up attending that church for over ten years, and developed more than a few good friendships which I cherish to this day.  During my time in this church, I heard many stories of how others had seen the cross outside the church and were drawn to it.  One young man, after a night contemplating suicide, pulled his car off the road and prayed after seeing that cross from the freeway.  Now, does God dwell in the images of that cross?  I don't believe in that.  However, I do believe that God spoke to hundreds of people who were searching for Him and saw that cross the very same way He spoke to me that day.  I believe that God will use whatever means He needs to draw our attention towards Him.  Be it a old rugged cross or a million dollar church sanctuary, if the Lords desire is to lead one of His own into the knowing of His Son He will find a way.  


Now what concurrence has a temple of God with idols?  For you are the temple of the living God, according as God said, that I will be making My home and will be walking in them, and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 

2 Corinthians 6: 16, Concordant New Testament 


~Scott~ 



No comments: