Sunday, March 27, 2022

Showing Jesus




With Christ I have been crucified, yet I am living; no longer I, but living in me is Christ.  Now that which I am now living in flesh, I am living in faith that is of the Son of God, who loves me, and gives Himself up for me. 
Galatians 2: 20, Concordant New Testament 

I retraced my steps this weekend back to a question which a friend posed some time ago.  How is Jesus best seen in me?  In order to answer this one must understand the truth of Jesus, that He lives in all of Gods children.  If I fail to see Jesus as living in me, how is it that I can proclaim to know the best way He is seen in me?  Makes sense huh?  So it is that I will go by assumption that more than a few who are reading this have the understanding of Christ in them.  For those who don't, buckle up, you might just learn something.  How do I know for certain that Christ is in me?  Well, the apostle Paul makes this truth known in a few places in scripture, most notedly in Galatians 2:20.  It was Paul's revelation on the road to Damascus which led him to the knowing of Jesus in him.  I believe that it is by the Fathers revelation that His Son is made known to all who seek Him.  So, knowing who I am in Christ, how is it that Jesus is best seen in me?  How is Jesus best seen in someone with the knowing of Jesus in them?  Would we know Him if we met Him?  How is someone I've neither seen nor even met best seen in me?  Jesus tells us to let our "light" shine so brightly before men that they will see our good works and glorify the Father for them {Matthew 5:15-16}.  We've all met people in our lives who have a extraordinary heart for others.  Their thoughts are not about personal gain, but about showing kindness to those around them?  They let their light shine before others.  These believers are easy to spot in a crowd, as they are already allowing Jesus to be seen in and through them.  But what about the rest of us?  How is Jesus best seen in me?  Obviously, if my own heart is focused on others instead of myself then Jesus will become visible.  Others will look upon me knowing that I am a follower of the Lord.  The trouble is, there are times where my focus is not on others, but on me.  Is Christ still in me?  Of course, that never changes.  

The other disciples then said to him, "We have seen the Lord!"  Yet he said to them. "Should I not perceive in His hands the print of the nails, and thrust my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into His side, I will by no means be believing."  And after eight days His disciples were again within, and Thomas was with them.  The doors having been locked, Jesus is coming and stood in the midst and said, "Peace to you!"  Thereafter He is saying to Thomas, "Bring your finger here and perceive My hands, and bring your hand and thrust it into My side, and do not become unbelieving, but believing."  And Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!"  Now Jesus is saying to him, "Seeing that you have seen Me, you have believed.  Happy are those who are not perceiving and believe."

John 20: 25-29, Concordant New Testament

Have you ever felt like poor Thomas before?  You know full well who Jesus is.  You have the knowing that He is in you.  Yet you continue to look for proof to validate what you already know in your heart.  I get it, I've been there.  This question of how Jesus is best seen in us gave me fits for a few days as I struggled to articulate a good answer.  Yet one piece of advice kept coming back to be...be Jesus.  That's it...just be Jesus.  Just be yourself.  After all, if Christ is in me then when I am being myself who else can be exemplified but Jesus Himself?  Seems like a no brainer, but for those who have not realized the revelation of who they are in Christ it can be a tough question to handle.  We may force ourselves into good behavior, having been told by one pulpit pounder or another that "being like Jesus" is a good thing.  I have news for you, this is NOT a heart for others.  Only when our thoughts for the good of others become second nature is our heart for others revealed for all to see.  Does this mean that Christ is not in you?  Absolutely not.  It simply means that you may not recognize who it is that you truly are inside.  Again, I've been there.  For me, my own revelation came at a moment of bad conduct on my part.  What better time for Jesus to introduce Himself.   

~Scott~  

No comments: