Friday, April 22, 2022

In That Moment




 How, then, should they be invoking One in whom they do not believe?  Yet how should they be believing One of whom they do not hear?  Yet how should they be hearing apart from one Heralding?  Yet how should they be heralding if ever they should not be commissioned?  According as it is written: How beautiful are the feet of those bringing an evangel of good?  

Romans 10: 13-15, Concordant New Testament 


I had the misfortune this week of being involved in the discovery of a young man who had passed away.  It's been said that this young man partook in one last dose of drugs as he lay there where we found him some 16 hours later.  Although it was certainly a shock to come across someone whom the Lord had finally called into their eternity.  But this young man was different, coming across him seemed to give me a connection with him despite the fact that he was deceased.  I can't help but wonder that somewhere a family is wondering what has become of their son.  I also can't help but wonder if his outcome would have indeed been different if I, or another believer for that matter, had the opportunity to talk with him in his final moments.  What would I have said to someone who in their final moments may have been depressed enough to consider ending their life?  This is most certainly above my pay grade.  One thing that is not above my pay grade would be speaking the truth of Christ Jesus to someone desperate to hear it.  Sadly, in a world filled with the negative, there are certainly many who are longing to hear something positive for a change.  We know that Jesus met people where they were in life.  That could be a woman about to be stoned for adultry or a thief hanging on a cross.  No matter the circumstance, Jesus met people where they were in life.  I believe that this is the message that I would have spoken to this young man in his final moments.  When you feel lost and the world tells you that you're not good enough...Jesus wraps you in His love and assures you that He remains in you {John 15:4-5}.  It is not very hard to see why the gospel of Christ is called the good news, for I know of no better news than the indwelling Christ in all of the Lords children.  


With Christ have I been crucified, yet I am living; no longer I, but living in me is Christ.  Now that which I am now living in the flesh, I am living in faith that is of the Son of God, who loves me and gives Himself up for me

Galatians 2: 20, concordant New Testament


There is no way in which I could put myself in the young mans shoes, but I have indeed experienced situations where I felt as if I was undesirable and a failure.  This is not uncommon, for the world will continually bombard us with negative messages.  On top of that, Satan, our accuser, will throw at us his own accusations of low self worth and hopelessness.  It is not easy to push aside the negative messages that bombard us, but it is much easier when we are assured of the truth of Jesus.  Were this young man to tell me of his struggles and how he feels other people see him, one of the first things I would ask him is, "Who is telling you all of this?"  Who is telling you that you're worthless?  Who is telling you that narcotics are your only way out of lifes problems?  The accuser, that's who.  Satan has NO desire for Gods children to come close to knowing the good news of Christ Jesus.  The best way for him to accomplish this is to constantly throw at us messages of low self worth.  Because if we are not confident in what the Lord has created in His image, we will never realize the truth of Christ in us {Galatians 2:20}.  There is a popular saying concerning our self confidence out there.  Garbage in, garbage out.  That is, if we allow negativity to dominate our lives...then negativity will be the result of our life.  No matter where you are in life, Jesus is there with you waiting to open your eyes to Him. 


To him God wills to make known what are the glorious riches of this secret among the nations, which is: Christ among you, the expectation of glory.

Colossians 1: 27, Concordant New Testament


~Scott~  

No comments: