Saturday, April 30, 2022

The Last Mile

 




If you get up, I'll take you places you've never been

~Steve Harvey~ 


The story goes that a U.S, Air Force para rescue crewman was on a mission to rescue a downed pilot in the waters off California.  It had been a training mission that had gone wrong, forcing the F-16 pilot to eject into the Pacific Ocean.  As the rescue crewman watched the waters for any sign of life, he was apparently struck by the brightness of one particular star in the sky.  However, he was quickly reminded that he needed to reorient himself, as what he had thought was a star was actually a rescue beacon from the downed Air Force pilot.  The fact that this rescue helicopter was still on station was also a advantage to the downed pilot, as low fuel had supposedly forced the rescue crew to return to shore minutes before.  The helicopter pilot wouldn't give up so easy, there was someone depending upon him and his crew.  Fortunately, the downed pilot was located and returned to his unit.  This got me thinking this week.  How many times have we come to a place in our lives where we actually consider giving up a good and decent option?  I know I've been in those footsteps one too many times.  Many times I've failed to consider all the options involved.  I'll consider quitting, not realizing the consequences if I had stayed the course and stuck it out until the end.  Far too many times, I'm focused on the here and now and the situation at hand.  Quitting, giving up is the option which in most occasions brings the least amount of pain and sacrifice.  Why trudge the road ahead when there is a possibility of failure?  Failure...is not pretty nor is it comfortable.  To fail is to lose, and who likes a loser?  However, failure is also where we ultimately develop perseverance for that road ahead.  What if Jesus had thrown in the towel after the first few times He was beaten?  Knowing His destiny, Jesus could very well have given up or taken revenge upon those persecuting Him.  Yet Jesus in that moment was not thinking of Himself and His situation, but on His Fathers work.  To fail was not an option.  


And He has protested to me, "Sufficient for you is My grace, for My power in infirmity is being perfected."  With the greatest relish, then, will I rather be glorifying in my infirmities, that the power of Christ should be tabernacling over me.  Wherefore I delight in infirmities, in outrages, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake, for whenever I may be weak, then I am powerful.

2 Corinthians 12: 9-10, Concordant New Testament


The comedian Steve Harvey relates the story of how he used to live in his car while he auditioned for different comedy club gigs.  At one point, after suffering one too many rejections, he recalls the Lord speaking to him in that still voice, "If you get up, I will take you places you've never been."  It wasn't long after this that Mr. Harvey began his career as a comedian.  What if he had quit?  Truth be told, he was planning on quitting in that moment he perceived the Lords voice within him.  Had that happened, he would have been just another upstart who failed to make it.  But at what cost?  How many lives might not have been affected had Steve Harvey quit in that moment?  I, for one, have been motivated by a few of his experiences.  And so the Lord, knowing what was in his heart, lifted His child up in one of his darkest moments.  I cannot claim to be a good motivational speaker, I leave that to others.  However, what I do know is that there have been times where I have stuck it out regardless of the outcome I thought would come to pass.  Perseverance is not bred anxiousness, as they say.  I would never advise someone to walk the path that I have walked.  However, what I would suggest is that they pay close attention to the voice of the Father as they go through their ordeal.  If you listen, He will take you places you've never been.  


For all I am strong in Him who is invigorating me--Christ! 

Philippians 4: 13, Concordant New Testament 


~Scott~ 

No comments: