Sunday, April 10, 2022

The New Disciples

 




And, approaching, Jesus speaks to them saying, "Given to Me was all authority in heaven and on earth.  Going, then, disciple all the nations, baptizing them into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, teaching them to be keeping all, whatever I direct you.  And lo!  I am with you all the days till the conclusion of the eon!  Amen!" 

Matthew 28: 18-20, Concordant New Testament


I remember back in the day where I was involved in one or another church based classes on discipleship.  I was taught all of the verses and bible matters that I was to share with those who wanted to know more about Jesus.  I guess that I wasn't cut out to be a disciple, however, because I don't think that I ever converted anyone.  A few years ago I actually researched the word disciple and I came away with more than a few interesting conclusions.  Our friends at Google have defined a disciple as a "Personal follower of Jesus."  A disciple is also "A follower or student of a teacher, leader or philosopher."  Knowing this, are not we who follow Jesus all his disciples?  All too often we make the mistake of classifying a disciple in the lens of Matthew, Mark, Luke or John.  Yes, these men were followers of Jesus during His life and ministry, therefore we refer to them as His disciples.  But could Jesus have had more than twelve disciples?  Judging from the layman's definition of the word, He may have had thousands of followers.  Personally, I'm a follower of Jesus.  Am I now a disciple of His?  All of these word games present a interesting discussion as to how we refer to those who follow Christ yet they do nothing in the way of leading others to the truth of Jesus.  I would venture that it takes a disciple to lead another to knowing Jesus.  It takes a follower of Jesus to lead someone into knowing Him.  So, even though we may consider ourselves disciples, it is by definition only.  How have we helped others to know Jesus in the way which we do?  The question first and foremost is, how do I know Jesus?  I know Jesus on a personal level, one that is rarely if at all spoken of in the mainstream church.  To me, Jesus is intimate.  I have a relationship with Christ Jesus who is in me {Galatians 2:20}.  I am, if you will, a member of the new disciples.  Although Christ be in me, I am a follower of His word and truth.  


Not you chose Me, but I chose you, and I appoint you, that may be going away and be bringing forth much fruit, and your fruit may be remaining, that anything whichsoever you should be requesting the Father in My name, He will be giving it to you.

John 15: 16, Concordant New Testament 


Taking a look back into scripture, how is it that Jesus "called" the twelve?  He simply gave them each  one command...follow Me.  To follow Him.  Now, I have no doubt that by asking these men to follow Him that He intended to teach them that they in turn would be teaching others about Him.  Are things any different for the new disciples of today?  I would say no.  Jesus has chosen us to follow His example and to share with others His truth.  Then we might be asking ourselves, how is it that we share Jesus with others?  The church model on discipleship suggests that we present the story of Jesus to others through well memorized scriptures.  I say that's bunk.  How is it that Jesus approached others to teach them?  How did He approach the woman at the well?  How did He approach the woman about to be stoned for adultry?  Jesus met people where they were in life.  When He called Simon to follow Him, He met him on the shore as he was struggling to work out a living catching fish.  He called the tax collector Matthew to follow Him, knowing all too well the indignation the Jews felt towards him.  Jesus met people where they were in life.  This should also be the practice of the new disciples.  I have no desire to spew a few well rehearsed scriptures to someone hoping that they will somehow believe me.  No, I want to tell them about the Jesus I know.  I want to tell them about the Jesus who loves them no matter what they feel they have done.  I want to tell them about Jesus who is the true identity of who it is they are.  They ARE Christ.  This is the Jesus I proclaim.  I am a new disciple. 


By this all shall be knowing that you are My disciples, if you should be having love for one another.

John 13: 35, Concordant New Testament 


~Scott~ 

No comments: