Sunday, June 11, 2023

Me And Jesus

 




*The author realizes the scientific evidence which points to the fact that there is no "me."  However, for the sake of this discussion, he feels it is relevant to the page* 


We can't afford any fancy preachin'

We can't afford any fancy church

We can't afford any fancy singin'

You know Jesus got a lot of poor people out doin' His work

Me and Jesus, Tom T Hall 


I recall a man in the church I used to attend who was on fire for the Lord each and every Sunday.  This man would sing and dance in the aisles of the church as the orchestra played the morning worship songs.  In essence, this was my motivation for todays page.  The term "me and Jesus" in no way aims to say that I am somewhat separate from Him, as that would be living the lie of the accuser.  What I wanted to capture was the overall excitement one feels when they are first introduced to Christ in their lives.  I have seen this reaction in many a new believer.  I believe that I also may have exhibited some excitement when Jesus was revealed to me.  He loves me, He died for me and He saved me, who would not be excited for something like that?  As the singer Tom T Hall said, "Me and Jesus got our own thing goin'."  It's hard when we first come to know Jesus to escape that feeling that He lives just for you.  That Jesus indeed has a personal relationship with us.  Well, that is not too far off.  We know that the desire of Christ is that all of the Lords children are one with He and the Father {John 17:21}.  How much more personal can you get?  Church theology (the teachings of man) will tell us that we and God are separated.  Now, if the desire of the Lord is that we would be one with He and the Father, why would we be separate from Him?  There are many scriptures which the mainstream church has mistook in their attempts to push the issue that we and God are separated.  Yet that is a discussion for another time.  Knowing that Jesus has an intimate connection with our lives is a large part of the excitement we feel.  That despite what everyone else claims to be true, Jesus is in me.  


With Christ have I been crucified, yet I am living; no longer I, but living in me is Christ.  Now that which I am now living in flesh, I am living in faith that is of the Son of God, Who loves me, and gives Himself up for me. 

Galatians 2: 20, Concordant New Testament 


The other day a good friend sent me a email link to an interesting article.  It seems that science has finally caught up to what we have known for some time, that there is no "me."  That's right, science now agrees that there is no "self center" in our brain Science has gone to great lengths to map the areas of the human mind.  They can isolate the language center of our minds as well as the part dealing with memories.  However, when it comes to the location of the self in our brain, there is no clear scientific conclusion.  Does it even exist?  If you adhere to the teaching of eastern religions, you will come to find that the self is nothing but an illusion.  In western Christianity, however, the self is the driver of who we are.  Whichever you believe, it is clear that the self would ultimately be at odds with a faith and trust in God.  How can we trust in God to be in control of our lives when we believe that we ourselves are in control of it?  Even the tried and true Christian saying "Dying to ones self" raises a few eyebrows.  If we have no self, how do we die to it?  The apostle Paul called it correctly when he referred to this truth of Jesus as the "Secret of the nations" {Colossians 1:27}.  This is not cookie cutter church theology but a deeper knowing of Christ Jesus in us.  Having the revelation of Christ Jesus in us is more than enough to be excited about.  I'm not all too sure if Tom T Hall had this realization, but I do.  


To whom God wills to make known what are the glorious riches of this secret among the nations, which is: Christ among you, the expectation of glory. 

Colossians 1: 27, Concordant New Testament 


~Scott~ 

No comments: