Tuesday, March 19, 2024

In Christ

 




In that day you shall know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you. 

Johns Account 14: 20, Concordant New Testament 


One of the most spoken phrases I have often heard from those in the mainstream church is of their desire to be "Closer to God."  In fact, many a Christian pastor has spoken that our objective should be to "Be like" Jesus.  Now, who in their right Christian mind wouldn't want to be just like Jesus?  For Jesus was loving, caring and perfect.  Jesus exemplified all which we as Christians strive for.  So it is that church leaders stress that our aim should be to be more like Jesus.  But how is it that we do that?  By the way we act?  By the way we think?  How is it that we become more like Jesus?  The apostle Paul speaks to those who know the Lord ultimately being "Conformed to the image of His Son" {Paul To The Romans 8:29}.  By definition, to conform means to be or act in accord with a set of standards, expectations or specifications.  So, as we who know the Lord are being conformed to the image of Jesus, we are becoming that image of who He is...His resemblance.  Paul took this one step further as he spoke of the indwelling Christ living in him {Paul To The Galatians 2:20}.  The man Paul had been, born into sin, was dead.  What now remained in him was Christ.  Was Paul conformed to the image of Jesus?  At first glance, I would say not yet.  For Paul himself proclaims that "Living in me is Christ" {Paul To The Galatians 2:20}.  Was Paul in Jesus?  If we nitpick Paul's words in Galatians we may think that the man Paul still considered himself a person.  Yet this is not the case at all.  For Paul proclaims that he has been crucified with Christ Jesus.  He admits that the man he once was has been put to death on the cross.  So, Paul lives no longer.  Instead, residing in his flesh body is Christ Jesus.  In spirit, Paul has been conformed to the image of the Son.  Yet, if we were to look upon him all that we would see would be his familiar flesh body.  


With Christ have I been crucified, yet I am living; no longer I, but living in me is Christ.  Now that which I am now living in the flesh, I am living in faith that is of the Son of God, Who loves me, and gives Himself up for me. 

Paul To The Galatians 2: 20, Concordant New Testament 


A good friend posed the question this week of how it is we know that we are in Christ.  I pose another question, how is it that Paul knew he was in Jesus?  From the words of Paul we can gather quite a bit of information on this topic.  In his own words, Paul proclaims how it is that he came to know Christ Jesus in him.  That is, through the revelation of the Lord {Paul To The Galatians 1:15-16}.  We're all to familiar with Paul's journey on that road to Damascus, and how he came to be converted.  Well, that's the popular version of the story.  But I believe that Paul's experience of the Damacus road was his wake up call.  This was the Father revealing to Paul what had always been a part of him.  That is, Christ Jesus.  It is Paul who tells us that it is the Father who chose that moment to "Unveil His Son in me" {Paul To The Galatians 1:16}.  We can only assume that the Father revealed to Paul what had always been a part of him.  From scripture, we know that it is the Father who breathed into us the breath of life {Genesis 2:7}.  At that moment, the Fathers creation became a living being.  It's not a stretch of the imagination to say that the Father has always been in us.  That Jesus has always been in us.  How is it that we know that we are in Christ?  For me, personally, my first realization came when the Father revealed His Son in me.  When my eyes were opened to the truth of Christ in me.  The old man, born into sin, lives no more.  What remains is Christ.  


Now, when it delights God, who severs me from my mothers womb and calls me through His grace, to unveil His Son in me that I may be evangelizing Him among the nations. 

Paul To The Galatians 1: 15-16, Concordant New Testament 


~Scott~ 

No comments: