Sunday, March 10, 2024

One Breath Away




 Now you are aware, my beloved brethren!  Yet let ever y man be swift to hear, tardy to speak, tardy to anger, for the anger of man is not working the righteousness of God. 

James To The Twelve Tribes 1: 19-20, Concordant New Testament 


To breathe is a natural part of life.  When we breathe we not only receive much needed air and oxygen, but an opportunity.  The opportunity to step back, to relax if for just a moment.  The opportunity to take stock of the situation at hand.  So important are the breaths that we take, that those seeking to advance into one of the most elite units of our nations military, the Marine Corps scout sniper, are drilled from day one the importance of breathing.  Even before the trigger is pulled, you stop, you breathe.  Only then will you function as intended.  I was thinking of this the other day while driving in traffic.  Now, one might not associate breathing with driving.  That is, until they are confronted with a disgruntled driver.  My choices were to retaliate, or breathe.  Thankfully, I chose the latter.  After a few seconds, the rush of negative emotions had passed and I was once again calm.  Imagine what could have happened had I not stopped in that moment to breathe.  James, the brother of the Lord Jesus, proclaims that we should be swift to hear and tardy to speak {James To The Twelve Tribes 1:19-20}.  That is good advice, but few people adhere to it when situations require them to do so.  I can recall many situations where my comments often instigated a confrontation with another.  I wasn't thinking, I didn't breathe.  Indeed, a possible negative situation is often but one breath away.  One of the greatest criticisms of Christians is that we fail to practice what we preach.  That we fail to adhere to the standards which we suggest for those around us.  I admit, I've been guilty of this hypocrisy in the past.  One of the things which I have worked on is, how would I react to someone like myself?  If I listened to the world view, when I looked in that mirror I would see just another hypocritical Christian.  Well, that's not me.  


Now if Christ is in you, the body, indeed, is dead because of sin, yet the spirit is life because of righteousness. 

Paul To The Romans 8: 10, Concordant New Testament 


When I think of breathing, my first thought is usually to that which I have received from the Father.  For it is the Father who has breathed into me His breath of life {Genesis 1:27}.  It is through the Father that I came into being.  It is also through the Father that I became who I am today.  That is, in Christ Jesus.  The apostle Paul proclaims that it is Christ who now dwells in him {Paul To The Galatians 2:20}.  When the world try's to tell me who I am, I remember those words.  When I look in the mirror, I do not see who the world thinks I am.  I see Jesus.  For if Christ dwells in me, this is the only image I will see of myself.  So, what does this have to do with breathing and negative situations?  When I step back, I think of who it is I am in Christ.  When I breathe, I'm reminded of the Fathers breath of life given unto me.  We will often face those difficult situations in life, but we do  not need follow the advice of the world and react negatively.  That is not who we truly are.  That realization may be just one breath away.  


~Scott~ 

No comments: