Saturday, March 23, 2024

Letting Go

 




Beloved, do not think strange the conflagration among you, which is becoming a trial to you, as of something strange befalling you, but, according as you as you are participating in the sufferings of Christ, rejoice, that you may be rejoicing, exulting in the unveiling of His glory also. 

Peter To The Dispersion (1): 12-13, Concordant New Testament 


For much of my life as a Christian, I was taught that when bad situations come into our lives, it was a sure sign that God was displeased.  I would often dread walking into church on a Sunday and attempting to ask for prayer from one of my brethren of believers, only to have them question just what I had done to make God upset with me.  Indeed, I've heard this inquisition from pastors as well.  So, instead of coming beside me in agreement or with counsel, these so called Christians would often wonder aloud what I could have done to piss off the Lord.  I mean, obviously if there was discord in my life God must be displeased, right?  Doesn't God punish and chastise those He loves?  Well, according to the doctrine of the mainstream church, that might be seen as true.  However, consider the story of the Lords servant Job, whom God allowed to be afflicted at the request of the accuser Satan.  By all accounts, Job was a Godly man.  Yet, Satan saw the opportunity to afflict one of the Lords chosen.  Consider Jobs companions, who after their friend has been afflicted, come to him with the standard Christian response which we see today...'what did you do, Job?'  I get it.  Isn't God in control of all that we see?  As job so very well points out to his wife who insists that he 'Curse God and die', 'shall we expect only the good from the Lord and not evil'{Job 2: 10}?  Indeed, if God is all in all, and He is, then He is involved in ALL aspects of our lives, both the good and the bad.  But, knowing this, too many Christians become bogged down with attempting to determine the Lords motives for what is happening in our lives.  This is something I've found myself doing recently.  Yes, I've been going through a season, so my first thought was to try to figure out just why God was doing what He was doing.  Of course, when I get down to brass tacks, this IS NOT my life!  The truth is that it is the Father in Jesus, Jesus in me and I in Him {Johns Account 14:20}.  It is the Father who works through me each day.  Knowing this truth, who's to say that the negative situation I am currently experiencing is not God working His work through me?  Perhaps Job was onto something after all.  


For this I entreat the Lord thrice, That it should withdraw from me.  And He has protested to me, "Sufficient for you is My grace, for My power in infirmity is being perfected."  With the greatest relish, then, will I rather be glorying in my infirmities, that the power of Christ shall be tabernacling over me. 

Paul To The Corinthians (2) 12: 8-9, Concordant New Testament 


One can certainly say that the apostle Paul had his own share of life situations.  Persecution, time in prison, Paul had seen many tribulations in his life.  Yet what is it that the apostle proclaims in 2 Corinthians concerning these afflictions?  "With the greatest relish, then, will I be glorying in my infirmities" {Paul To The Corinthians (2) 12:8-9}.  One of the things that I love about this passage is that God is INSISTING to Paul that His grace is all that He needs in life.  Perhaps Paul had his doubts at first, only for the Father to insist that He was working through his infirmities.  How are we to know that what we are enduring could be a affirmation to another person?  How many times have we been encouraged through the afflictions of a cancer survivor?  Is this not the Father working through them?  Who am I to question the Lord working through me?  Is not His goal greater than anything I could imagine?  When I let go and allow the Father to work through me, I may ultimately be affecting the lives of others around me.  Perhaps it is the Fathers intent to work in the life of another through me.  God does not work everything in sunshine and warm weather.  There are many times when the Father will use the difficult times in our lives for His purpose.  My place in this is not to find my own way through, but to allow the Father work through me. 


~Scott~ 

No comments: