Friday, September 11, 2015

Is Proof Required?

"Do you not believe that I am in the father, and the father in me?  The words that I speak to you I do not speak on my own authority; but the father who dwells in me does the works.  "Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father in me, or else believe me for the sake of the works themselves."
John 14: 10-11 NKJV

What would it take for you to believe in Jesus?  We have Gods written word that Jesus is the risen son of God, but not everyone believes.  Heck, even a few of his trusted disciples had trouble believing this truth, and they were with Jesus every day!  Thomas  would not believe his Lord had risen until he had physical proof, seeing the wounds Christ had suffered.  Peter, the "Rock" on which the church wouuld be built, foundered when Jesus welcomed him to walk on water with him.  If that weren't enough, Peter added to that by denying Jesus at his darkest hour.  Through all of this, Jesus did not waver in his love for those around him, or for us.

We love him because he first loved us.
1 John 4:19 NKJV

Now, like many people, I've had difficulty seeing who Jesus truly was in my younger years.  I guess I can identify with Thomas, I only believed what I could physically see in front of me.  Wait, I knew through scripture that Jesus was real, but where was he?  When I was in trouble or hurting, he wasn't there beside me comforting me.  Yet, in my heart I knew that he was with me.  Did I need proof that God was there with me?  Can we believe in something unseen?  I'd venture to say yes, since most of mankinds attempts at organized religions and "spiritual" movements have all been based on believing in things unseen.  So, that being said, why is it so hard at times to believe in Jesus?  I mean, we have the same written proof that other religions have right?  For example, Islam has the written Quran, and yet it seems that people more readily believe that there may be a "Alah" than a living God.  Sort of confusing huh?  Like I said, I was one who was more prone to believe in something that was right in front of my face than in something I had been told was true.
My friend David has asked me on more than a few occasions why I believe in Jesus and it frustrates the hell out of me!  Sorry David :)  My answers are usually along the lines of...I'm a christian, the Bible tells me so, I just know.  However, I realize he has a unique motivation for asking me this question.   See, he wants me to be able to explain to someone else why it is I believe.  I get it, how can we possibly tell someone else about Jesus unless we know in our hearts that he's real?  Something I've dabbled in occasionaly is to write a journal of my daily activities.   Journaling is a excellent way to look back and see where God has been walking beside us.  As we turn the pages of our daily lives, we can read where it is we prayed, and where it was that God answered our prayers.  One thing that David has also told me is how powerful a tool our testimonies can be in communicating Jesus to someone.  I can agree with this.  By sharing how God has worked in our lives we can develop a connection with someone more intimate than any Sunday sermon.  I'd often prefer to hear how God has worked in someones life than to sit through a sermon.  It's these connections that ultimately lead to a deeper fellowship.  If we need proof of Gods existance, then talk with someone who he's walked through the trials of life with.

~Scott~

No comments: