Saturday, September 12, 2015

Selective Hearing

Now behold, two of them were traveling that same day to a village called Emmaus, which was seven miles from Jerusalem.  And they talked together of all these things which had happened.   So it was, while they conversed and reasoned, that Jesus himself drew near and went with them.  But their eyes were restrained, so that they did  ot know him.
Luke 24: 13-16 NKJV

There have been many times when I could have identified with the men in this scripture.  Like the disciples walkiing the road to Emmaus that day, the voice of my Lord Jesus has fallen on deaf ears.  Sure, I know he walks with me, but do I listen to him?  What does it take to hear the voice of Jesus?  Is it as simple as any normal conversation with a friend?  My friend David has often told me that one of the best ways to hear Gods voice is to be in his word.  I agree with that, as God can often speak to us through his word as we read it.  I can't think of anyone besides a hardened aetheist who wouldn't want to have a heart to heart conversation with Jesus.  Even then, eventually he may end up talking with God.  I have to say, there have been times when I have felt I've heard the voice of my savior.  Granted, it's a internal conversation, but I knew it was him speaking.
Each one of us, if we know Christ, has the Holy Spirit within us.  If Jesus abides within us, and scripture is pretty clear about this, then I believe that we can freely communicate with him.   However, just as the eyes and ears of the disciples were "restrained" on the road to Emmaus that day, can our eyes and ears be restrained as well?

Then he said to them, "O foolish ones and slow of heart to believe in all that the pprophets have spoken!  "Ought not the Christ to hhave suffered these things and to enter into his glory?"  And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded to them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.
Luke 24:: 25-27 NKJV

Now these men walking to Emmaus, their senses restored, at last recognise their risen Lord.  Instead of selective hearing on the part of the disciples, I believe this was a teaching opportunity for those who still did not believe that Jesus had, as he predicted numerous times, risen from the dead.   So, where does that leave us today for those who believe in Jesus?  If we believe that he is indeed in us, then he is close enough that we may hear his voice.  One advantage we may have over those men walking to Emmaus, is that we KNOW that Jesus is risen.

~Scott~

No comments: