Monday, September 28, 2015

It Takes A Community

KOINONIA ~ Is a transliterated form of the greek word, KOLVWVIA, which means communion, joint participation; the share which one has in anything, participation, a gift jointly contributed, a collection, a contribution, etc.
~Wikipedia~

I got to wondering this week about the true meaning of "community" in our modern church.  My friend David observed recently that the modern church is incapable of true community, of Koinonia in the true sense of the word.  In a sense I agree, but I also feel there is room for us to get back to community in our local church.  The question we need to ask ourselves is, are we willing?  In order for us to achieve the community that was demonstrated for us in the early church, we would need to get back to some bare bones basics.  Also remember, our world was a vastly different place in the days of the early church.  We can learn alot about community from these early believers.

Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common, and sold their possesions and goods, and divided them among all, as anyone had need.  So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, praising God and having favor with all the people.  And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.
Acts 2: 44-47 NKJV

To me, I look at this scripture in Acts 2 and it screams out "COMMUNITY!"  What better example of the church coming together than this example?  If there was anyone in need, those around them would help.  Imagine  the impact on our hungry, homeless and poor today if we followed this example.  Of course, also imagine the changes we would need to make as a society to accomplish this.  Now, one of the things I have not been in recent memory is a very social person.  Yes, I have my group of friends who I confide in, but I've been lax in opening myself up to other people.  In order for this community to work, people like me would need to open ourselves up to others...OUCH!  I'm happy to say that at least I'm not the only roadblock on our path to community, I have plenty of company.  The focus would need to change from the "me" generation to a new "we" generation.  If your neighbor came knocking and was in desperate need of food or assistance of some kind, you could offer to help without feeling obligated or keeping a ledger of what he was borrowing.  Well, for me that would take some serious retraining.  It's difficult to say the least, but I don't think it's impossible by any means.  Being able to look past ourselves and to the needs of others is a big step.  Imagine the vulnerability of people as they open themselves up to others around them.  I'm still working on my imperfections.  I guess I can understand why David feels that true community is out of our reach.

~Scott~

No comments: