Friday, September 4, 2015

What Is Our Motivation?

"Take heed that you do not do your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them.  Otherwise you have no reward from your father in heaven."
Matthew 6:1 NKJV

I've always believed that you can tell alot about a person by how they treat those less fortunate than themselves.  These days, it seems that there are more people in poverty than ever before.  There are numerous opportunities in Churches and in our communities to help those in need.   While this in itself is a wonderful idea, I often wonder what our motivation is for helping someone in need.  We don't need to venture far from home before we see someone standing on a street corner seeking help.  From most of the signs they write out, most of them are willing to work.  When I was younger, my mother struggled financialy while supporting my brother and I.  There were times when people would help her financialy, but perhaps I was too young to realize her situation.  All I could see was that she always provided for us, even though she received help along the way.  Most of the time when others would help out, they would do it privately, and I never understood that until my later years.  There were a few times when people would help, but would bring attention to themselves while offering it.  Although my mother was grateful for the assistance, I could see she felt uncomfortable in how it was offered.  I can give two examples of this that I can remember.
I remember one Christmas season that was especially tough on our family.  For anyone who has spent time in Minnesota, you know how harsh the winters can be.  I remember this winter as being pretty difficult.  Of course, kids like the snow, school closures and playing outdoors, but if you need to get around town in these conditions it's not advisable for the faint of heart.  As I remember, the usual temperature was somewhere around 10-15 degrees during the day and in the minus 20 degree range at night.  Oh, and the windchill would lower those temperatures by another 20-30 degrees!  We called that lake effect weather.  In the middle of all of this weather chaos, my mother struggled to raise two kids while relying on public transportation.  I could tell even back then that her heart was breaking as she realized that Christmas would not be very cheerful for my brother and I.  One afternoon there was a knock on the door.  I remember my mom talking briefly to a man, then closing the door and crying.  This man, this samaritan had come to our door and when my mother answered he asked "Mrs. Wakefield?"  Not sure of his intentions, my mom was taken aback I'm guessing.  However, his intentions were soon realized as what could only be seen by her as a answer to her prayers.  The man handed my mom a envelope, saying "This is for you and the boys" and left as quickly as he arrived.  There was nobody else around, obviously, to notice his charitable deed.  Needless to say, my mother believed that God had moved through this unknown person.  
Driving home the other day I came across a raggedy looking man standing beside the road holding a sign.  I obviously knew that this guy was in need, or at least that was what my heart was telling me.  As I drove by I stopped and gave him $5 wished him luck and went on my way.  He obviously appreciated the assistance as he smiled.  I guess the sign he was holding was a creative way to get assistance..."Travelin bloke, out of work and broke, got any work?  I'll do it, NO JOKE."  

~Scott~ 

No comments: