Thursday, March 30, 2017

A Road Seldom Taken





1We then who are strong ought to bear with the scruples of the weak, and not to please ourselves. 2Let each of us please his neighbor for his good, leading to edification. 3For even Christ did not please Himself; but as it is written, “The reproaches of those who reproached You fell on Me.” 4For whatever things were written before were written for our learning, that we through the patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope. 5Now may the God of patience and comfort grant you to be like-minded toward one another, according to Christ Jesus, 6that you may with one mind and one mouth glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Romans 15: 1 - 6 NKJV

They call it community, that relationship we have with those around us where the needs of others outweigh our own.  In fact, I would stop short of calling this practice of community a relationship and call it as it is...a heart for others.  The only reason for this is that I believe that the relationships we share with others are more personal than the community we may or may not put into practice.  Spending time with someone is far different than a true relationship.  That's not to say that community cannot lead to relationships, and it usually does.  The first conversation I had with Dennis about those with a heart for self or a heart for others was just my mother had passed.  Now, my mother definately had a heart for others.  I cannot recall too many times when my mom wasn't reveling in the relationships she had with the other women in the church we attended.  Unfortunately, for the most part that part of her personality has not rubbed off on her son.  I'm not saying that I don't have relationships with others, it's just not as much of a focus for me as it was for her.  Do I still share her heart for others?  I'd like to think I do.  If there is one thing for sure, we certainly cannot have community with others if all we are concerned in is our own needs.  How can we bear one anothers burdens if we're only concerned about our own?  All too often all we end up doing is chasing our own tails in our desperate attempts at true Christ centered community.  Do I think that most people only have a heart for themselves only?  Definately not, and we see this each day all around us as people bear the burdens of others.  Sadly I don't see this as community but random acts of kindness.  I've often wondered just how different the world around us would be if we truly practiced community with those around us.  I even commented to a freind some time ago about how we could have community as the early did in Acts 2.  His response?  We would definately need drastic changes in the  society we have today.  So, why is it that bearing one anothers burdens is a road seldom taken?

44Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common, 45and sold their possessions and goods, and divided them among all, as anyone had need. 46So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, 47praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.
Acts 2: 44 - 47 NKJV

Now, I will share my thoughts as to just why true community has eluded Christs church for so many generations.  I believe that it is based on the very same lie told by satan to Adam and Eve in the garden.  That very same lie that led to the fall.  This is the false belief that we ourselves are independent and in control of our own lives.  Should we see someone who is struggling, then obviously that person weak minded without too much motivation.  They just need to pull up their boot straps and get on with what God intends for their life.  But wait, what if Gods intention is for you to assist that person?  Has He not put them into your path for a reason?  This isn't simply a time where we need to retreat to our safe place and wait for Gods leading...HE IS LEADING!  Of course, all too often we tend to miss the signals God intends for us, I know I do.  Our question should never be why God?  Instead, we should ask, God, what are you doing through me?  For far from being independent as so many christians think, it is Christ Jesus who WE live as today {Galations 2:20}.  Wouldn't it be wonderful if Jesus were here today to love on those who need Him?  But wait, if Jesus lives through us today, can't He exhibit His love through us?  Won't those around us see the love of Christ when He does just that?  When this happens...that's community.  Bearing one anothers burdens, forsaking our own desires for the needs of others.  A heart for others.  My mom would often tell me of how she felt led to befriend someone she had just met.  Truthfully I don't feel comfortable with saying she was "led" but that she was simply showing others who she really was in Jesus.

~Scott~

No comments: