Saturday, March 11, 2017

Authentic Belief


"Religion must use law to empower itself and control the people they need in order to survive."
~William Paul Young - The Shack~

The movie The Shack has certainly received its own share of criticism since it appeared on the theater screen recently.  Just as Paul Youngs book of the same title had done years before, those within christian circles were quick to assail this story which by all means seemed...unconventional.  When the book first appeared, the pastor of the church I was attending certainly made it a point to caution his flock about this unconventional christian story.  After all it was just that, a fairy tale.  Or was it?  Since the movie has been released, the men from our circle have watched one of the most powerful films of all time.  One of my friends has even watched the movie with his wife and then his teenage daughter.  Now tell me, for a story which was originally seen as so blasphemous in christian circles, what is it about this very same story which is now changing lives?  The story has not changed.  In fact, the film stays pretty close to the book from what I have heard.  These days I wonder just why the christian church was so quick to discount this story within its own circles.  When it seems that the lives of those who have seen this movie have been so possitively affected.  Why would the church put up such a fight over this story?  Well, I believe that I've come to see a big reason as to why there has been such a backlash by the church.  That reason...is religion itself.

20“I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word; 21“that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me. 22“And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: 23“I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me. 24“Father, I desire that they also whom You gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me; for You loved Me before the foundation of the world. 25“O righteous Father! The world has not known You, but I have known You; and these have known that You sent Me. 26“And I have declared to them Your name, and will declare it, that the love with which You loved Me may be in them, and I in them.”
John 17: 20 - 26 NKJV

Dennis made the comment the other day of the difference between authentic believers from true pretenders (sorry for the shameless plug buddy).  Indeed, when we as Gods children are aware of who we truly are inside then we can rest in our relationship with Him.  That was the prayer of Jesus in the garden we find in John 17, that we would be one as Jesus and the Father are one.  This is relationship, and it flys in the face of what the church is.  For the church is organization, the church is control and the church is structure.  Tell me, how do any of these foster relationships with God?  Indeed, it is no wonder why the church has come out with pessimistic eyes against this story.  From what I can see, the church needs people in order to survive, God doesn't.  Knowing this, it is still our heavenly Fathers desire that all would come to Him {John 3: 16-17}.  This is the relationship which we would have with Him that Jesus prayed in the garden.  This is also the relationship which we today who have accepted Christ Jesus DO HAVE today {Galations 2:20}.  This is authentic relationship without boundries.  This is authentic belief, knowing that we ourselves are one with the Father.

~Scott~

No comments: