Saturday, March 25, 2017

Ordained


8“Remember this, and show yourselves men; Recall to mind, O you transgressors. 9Remember the former things of old, For I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like Me, 10Declaring the end from the beginning, And from ancient times things that are not yet done, Saying, ‘My counsel shall stand, And I will do all My pleasure,’
Isaiah 46: 8 - 10 NKJV

Beware of universalism.  Universalism is that belief that it by Gods endearing love that NONE of His children could ever be condemned to hell.  For as God is love, so His love would guarantee that none would find themselves under our Lords condemnation.  This sounds like a good theory to believe in for a good number of people.  Throw away of that stuff we read in scripture of those who don't have Christ and the fate which awaits them.  Gods love is too powerful enough to prevent even them from condemnation.  Now, while this may be true, I don't believe that we can live under such a pipe dream.  Like the child who gets a trophy simply for participating in a athletic event, universalism guarantees our salvation no matter what.  While this may be good news for the likes of Adolf Hitler and Charlie Manson, I don't think the universalists are on the same page.  Indeed, we find in scripture many a reference to what awaits those who do not have Jesus.  Do we read in scripture of the rich man and Lazarus where both men were enjoying eternity with our heavenly Father?  No, for one was suffering in torment while the other was at last at peace in Abrahams bossom.  I'm certain that Jesus had more than a good reason for relating this parable to all who would listen.  There are indeed two sides to eternity...the good and the not so much.

34“For who has known the mind of the LORD? Or who has become His counselor?” 35“Or who has first given to Him And it shall be repaid to him?” 36For of Him and through Him and to Him are all things, to whom be glory forever. Amen.
Romans 11: 34 - 36 NKJV

Once I understood that heaven was not simply a participation award for all christians I turned my eyes to the more important question.  Who is it that will be saved?  How is it that one becomes saved?  Through years of christian belief and scriptures I have followed the narative that it is we ourselves who make the ultimate decision to accept Christ Jesus or to reject Him.  We are told this in scripture that we ourselves confess Jesus with our spoken word {Romans 10:10}.  I get it, for if we believe in Jesus we will more than likely say as much.  But does this guarantee our own salvation?  It was at this point that I had to step back and contemplate what I had come to accept as the basis of my own belief in Gods salvation.  We know that our salvation is but a gift from God {Ephesians 2: 8 -9 NKJV}.  Not one of us can strut around and proclaim that they themselves are responsible for their being saved...I get it.  However, I then began to ask that deeper question of my Lords soveriegnty.  The knowledge that nothing ever escapes His sight, and that everything from yesterday to the future will occur according to His ultimate plan.  So, if God has already ordained all past and future events in His creation, where does that leave our own salvation story?

1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was in the beginning with God. 3All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not acomprehend it.
John 1: 1 - 5 NKJV

I'll tell you the conclusion which I came to.  As our heavenly Father is the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last who was and always will be {Revelation 22: 13}, it is therefore my belief that all things have and will occur according to His perfect plan.  Yes, that means the good, bad and ugly as well.  Knowing this, it is my belief that our heavenly Father has already ordained who will and who will not receive Christ Jesus in their lives.  There is the plan which was put into place long before His creation and which He Himself will bring to a conclusion at a time of His choosing.  To believe that we ourselves are responsible for our own salvation may just be ignoring our Lords holy soveriegnty.  Beware of universalism.

~Scott~

No comments: