Sunday, March 26, 2017

True Identity


9But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His. 10And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. 11But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies dthrough His Spirit who dwells in you.
Romans 8: 9 - 11 NKJV

Some time ago a co worker of mine became upset with me because of the fact that I refused to engage in the typical workplace politics.  That just wasn't me, it didn't fit who I was.  Don't get me wrong, I used to dabble in these practices of gossip and rumors until I realized that it didn't fit who I was as a person.  More importantly, it didn't fit my one true identity.  Most people associate their identity, self worth and value based on how the world sees them.  Granted, I still fall into this blackhole at times.  For the world surrounds us and we are a part of it day after day.  This is our temporary home, so it is pretty feasable that it would influence our lives at some point.  Very strong is the christian who can stake their claim that they are immune to all this world has to offer.  To date I haven't met one, but my search continues.  I mention this simply because of the fact that what this world around us is...is not compatable with who we are in Christ Jesus.  The apostle Paul tells us in Romans 8 that our one true identity is not flesh and blood but spirit in nature.  This is the image of God in which we were created {Genesis 1:26}.  This was a pretty tough pill for me to swallow because all I knew and understood was what I could see for myself.  I saw my flesh body, just not my spirit identity.  However, I can see no other way to explain my identity than it is my identity in Christ, for I am a child of God.  It is for this very reason that I realized that what was happening around me each day was not who I truly was, and this upset more than a few people.  I heard all of the criticisms that came along with it...christian hypocrite, holier than thou and bible thumper.  It wasn't that I was trying to force my beliefs on others, I just simply was realizing who I truly was.  Of course, I had zero idea of the firestorm that would cause.

1Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know bus, because it did not know Him. 2Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is.
1 John 3: 1 - 2 NKJV

Remember the reaction of the Jewish Pharisees to Jesus when He proclaimed Himself the Son of God?  This is that very same reaction we receive when we reveal the truth of Jesus Christ in us.  Not that He died to forgive us our sins, but that we live as Christ today.  People simply can't handle that revelation.  Such blasphemy!  Do we simply ignore the scriptures which claim that Jesus is indeed alive in us today?  If we do then we are simply cherry picking those verses which suit our needs at the time.  So, if Gods identity is not one of flesh and blood, then this is not my identity.  For having been created in His image, I share His identity.  This is who I am.  We're told that Jesus was the image of the invisible God {Colossions 1:15}.  God, being in spirit, needed a flesh body in order for His children to see Him as He was.  This is Christ Jesus.  Knowing this, we can also proclaim that those around us will indeed see God through us.  For if Christ Jesus is in us, He will be manifested through all we do.  He lives THROUGH  us.  The disciples asked Jesus to "Show us the Father and it is enough for us."  The trouble is, they had already seen the Father.  So it is with those around us today.

5Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?” 6Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. 7“If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; and from now on you know Him and have seen Him.” 8Philip said to Him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is sufficient for us.” 9Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?
John 14: 5 - 9 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: