Saturday, December 17, 2022

Our Jesus Body




 For our realm is inherent in the heavens, out of which we are awaiting a Savior also, the Lord, Jesus Christ, who will transfigure the body of our humiliation, to conform it to the body of His glory, in accord with the operation which enables Him even to subject all to Himself.

Philippians 3: 20-21, Concordant New Testament 


For the past few years I have been on a journey to transform this body of mine from unshapely to one of muscle.  Anyone who knows me will tell you that my gym sessions have become somewhat of an addiction for me.  It all began back in 2012 when my doctor recommended physical therapy after a work injury.  It was there that I met two of the best physical therapists I have ever me before or since.  These two ladies showed me the healing power of not only better nutrition but also a program of weight training to avert future injuries.  It wasn't long before I had the weightlifting bug.  Now I'm dead set on changing this body of mine.  Yet this body which I speak of is but an earthly body present only in this day and age we live in.  This is our fleshly body.  We can indeed make changes to our bodies for the good or bad, it's up to us and our efforts.  But as a believer I eagerly await that body which I will inherit on that day of the Lords choosing.  This is the body which the apostle Paul prepares us for {1 Corinthians 15:44}.  As Paul tells us, we are born with our natural bodies intact, but there is also a spiritual body for which we eagerly await {Romans 8:23}.  This is the body which will be revealed on the day of Christs return.  Not only do we who endure here on earth await the redemption of our bodies, but those who have passed before us do as well.  Before her passing, my mother was plagued by more than a few health issues which caused her pain.  She endured.  I can rest assured that even now she eagerly awaits her new body which will be revealed to her as well.  A body of glory and not of pain and struggle.  


Yet not only so, but we ourselves also, who have the firstfruit of the spirit, we ourselves also, are groaning in ourselves, awaiting the sonship, the deliverance of our body.

Romans 8: 23, Concordant New Testament 


As a new believer, my understanding was that my body would be the same after death as it is now.  Yet I have since grown to understand that this is not the case.  If this were true, why would so many be eagerly awaiting new bodies?  It is no secret that I have been created in the image of the Father {Genesis 1:27}.  Again, my first introduction to the meaning of this passage was...elementary.  My understanding was that this physical body of mine resembled the Lord.  I failed to connect the reality that my TRUE identity and appearance belongs to Christ Jesus {Galatians 2:20}.  For it is Jesus who chose me.  It is Jesus who chose to live in this body of mine.  Therefore, it is my body in Christ which resembles the Father.  The temporary skin and bones that I toil away at each day will soon pass from this world.  It will be replaced by an entirely new body in the true image of Christ {1 John 3:2}.  This is the body we await so eagerly.  I can make all of the changes in the world to this flesh body of mine, and none of it will compare to the glory which I soon will become.  The glory of Christ Jesus my Lord.  


Beloved, now we are children of God, and it was not as yet manifested what we shall be.  We are aware that, if He should be manifested, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him according as He is.  

1 John 3: 2, Concordant New Testament 


~Scott~ 

No comments: