Saturday, November 18, 2017

A Worthy Prayer



5“And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. 6“But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly. 7“And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words."
Matthew 6: 5 - 7 NKJV

Some time ago I had a discussion with a friend about those words of Christ which we find in Matthew 6.  These are Jesus' thoughts on how we ought to pray.  Now, it is has long been my belief that my prayers, our prayers, are but our communication with our heavenly Father.  I see no other way to look at this.  That being said, Christ Himself told those assembled on the mount of Olives that day just how it is that they should pray to God.  In short, we should began by acknowledging our Lord and then continue our supplications by requesting His provision and protection.  These words of Jesus have become known in most scripture as "The model prayer."  And why not?  Jesus Himself has instructed us to pray in this way.  Now, I'm not knocking the prayers of anyone.  In fact, however one chooses to do their one on one time with God is their own business.  But what if those words of Christ don't tell the whole story?  What if Jesus was simply giving instructions on prayer in a manner in which people could understand?  We know this to be true from His own teachings through the parables He so often used.  This was the very point which my friend raised to me along with the question...how should we REALLY pray?  In fact he brought up another prayer of Jesus which we might want to consider as our "true" prayer.  I will admit, that he brought up a interesting point.  The words of Jesus which he pointed out also seemed like a most worthy prayer.  Now I was stuck, which one should I use?  Which prayer should I speak to God which would not only acknowledge Him as He truly is but how He sees His children as well?  This was the search for the model prayer.

20“I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word;21“that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me. 22“And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: 23“I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me. 24“Father, I desire that they also whom You gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me; for You loved Me before the foundation of the world.25“O righteous Father! The world has not known You, but I have known You; and these have known that You sent Me. 26“And I have declared to them Your name, and will declare it, that the love with which You loved Me may be in them, and I in them.”
John 17: 20 - 26 NKJV

As I contemplated the characteristics of my perfect prayer, I realized that I might be looking in the wrong direction.  What was it that God ultimately desired to lay upon my heart about my prayers to Him?  For so long I was under the impression that our prayers were our opportunity to seek our Lords help in our lives.  This was our chance to tell Him what was troubling our hearts.  But, what was God trying to reveal to us?  The words of Christ we find in John 17 give us a clue to what might be our true model prayer.  It is these words which my friend pointed out to me.  In the garden of Gethsemane, Jesus layed out just what was on His own heart for those who would come after Him.  Appropriately, His words are titled in my bible "Jesus prays for all believers."  For it was for all of us which Christ prayed the night He was betrayed.  Think about that for a minute.  Jesus is in grief, facing His own death and He prays...for us.  So, what is it that Christ wanted for us?  "That they may be one just as we are one"{John 17:22}.  This was Christs own desire, for those who came after Him to be one in the Father just as He was.  That is, it the desire of Jesus that we would be one with the Father as He is one.  It was not the prayer of Jesus that the God would provide for us or be mindful of what was troubling us, only that we would be one in the Father.  I have come to realize that these words of Jesus are our true model prayer.  It was the desire of Jesus that we would be one in the father, and we have that today.  We are assured that it is Jesus Himself who now lives through us {Galations 2:20}.  When it is our heartfelt prayer that we would be one with our heavenly Father as He and Christ are one, He will reveal what He has already accomplished in us.

 7“And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words.8“Therefore do not be like them. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him."
Matthew 6: 7 - 8 NKJV

~Scott~

1 comment:

Dennis Deardorff said...

Amen. I would love to read more about your last line - "He will reveal...." What does He reveal? How does that meet our needs?