Sunday, November 26, 2017

A Place To Hang Our Hat



19“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; 20“but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21“For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
Matthew 6: 19 21 NKJV

I work with a man who has what some would call a undying loyalty to his college football team.  So much does his own world revolve around his team, that his daily mood will at times depend upon if his beloved team won or lost that previous saturdays game.  At times I thought that this was pretty petty and foolish, until I realized that I was guilty of the very same beliefs at times.  Now, I grew up a Minnesota Vikings fan, so I know what it's like to be on the losing end of more than a few games.  However, I guess that I could say that I have not allowed my teams performance on the field dictate my own mood very often.  Yes, it has happened, but not too often.  No, I've let other things which I've layed my hat on dictate how it is that I feel.  Things like money, possessions and my place in life determine how I went through my day.  Jesus Himself reminded us in Matthew 6 that we should be well aware of those things where we often hang our hats.  For as Christ told us, "where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." {Matthew 6:21}  So where is it that our hearts are today?  Where is it that we hang our hats?  It may be very easy for us to tie our own self worth and confidence in those things which Jesus claimed "where moth and rust destroy."  That is, if we are not aware of where our hearts truly dwell.  If we are unaware of who we truly are.  What is it that defines us?  Is it those possessions which we all too often accumulate over a lifetime, or is it something deeper than that?  How much importance are we placing on others, on our relationships...on Christ?  Not too long ago, a friend of mine would reference two types of people, those with a heart for self and those with a heart for others.  What type are you?  Where is it that you hang your hat?

 15And He said to them, “Take heed and beware of covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of the things he possesses.”16Then He spoke a parable to them, saying: “The ground of a certain rich man yielded plentifully. 17“And he thought within himself, saying, ‘What shall I do, since I have no room to store my crops?’ 18“So he said, ‘I will do this: I will pull down my barns and build greater, and there I will store all my crops and my goods. 19‘And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years; take your ease; eat, drink, and be merry.” ’ 20“But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul will be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided?’ 21“So is he who lays up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.”
Luke 12: 15 - 21 NKJV

When I speak of where our hearts are, I obviously am speaking of what are those things in our lives that we place value on.  For the apostle Paul there was no doubt where he hung his hat.  To Paul, to live was Christ {Philippians 1:21}.  Christ Jesus had such importance in Pauls life that He was where Paul hung his hat, He was where Paul placed his own trust.  Can we say the same?  We can if we know where we stand with Jesus ourselves.  See, Jesus isn't just some supernatural being who sits in heaven waiting to judge those who sin on a daily basis.  That was the old covenant and we're long past that.  No, far from being removed from us, Jesus today is closer to our own hearts than we think.  Again, Paul knew where to hang his hat.  He explained that it was no longer he who lived, but Christ who lived in him {Galations 2:20}.  You could say that Jesus had hung His own hat in Paul.  This is what He does with all of us who accept Him.  Or, we could hang our own hats on Christ as well.  Either way you look at it, that focus in our life will switch from that which we possess to Christ who is in us.  Once this happens, those things and events in our lives will no longer dictate how it is we will ultimately feel.  We will be safe in the knowledge that it is Christ Jesus who resides in our own hearts.  No one can steal that away from you.

19For I know that this will turn out for my deliverance through your prayer and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ, 20according to my earnest expectation and hope that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life or by death. 21For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
Philippians 1: 19 - 21 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: