Sunday, November 19, 2017

The Revealing



15But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother’s womb and called me through His grace, 16to reveal His Son in me, that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately confer with flesh and blood, 17nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me; but I went to Arabia, and returned again to Damascus.
Galations 1: 15 - 17 NKJV

I think that it's understood that the apostle Paul knew the importance of the teachings of Christ Jesus.  There has never been a more passionate supporter of all which Jesus stood for than Paul.  Of course, there more than likely has never been a stronger critic of Him as well.  For before we came to know Paul, we were introduced to Saul of Tarsus.  As strongly of a supporter of Christ as Paul was, the man Saul used that same fervor against Him.  Indeed, we could look at this as two men with a desire for Christ, albeit for different reasons.  Two men, one seeking to destroy the followers of Christ and the other seeking to tell others of His love which saved us all.  I would also say that God used each of these men for His very purpose.  One of the reasons that others see the wonders of the message of the apostle Paul is because of the man that he used to be.  How is it that such a strong critic and persecutor of the early church of the followers of Jesus suddenly become the man who preached the gospel of Christ?  Make no mistake, what Saul sought was the death of those who followed Christ {Acts 9:1}.  It's no wonder that the early church had to gather in secret, for not to do so meant persecution and possibly death.  Of course, all of this was unfolding as God had intended.  Then, when it pleased God, the man Saul ceased to live and the man we know today as Paul came to be.  We know that something big happened on that road to Damascus that day.  We know that this was the turning point where Saul ceased to exist and Paul was born.  Yeah yeah, how can a man be reborn right?  Well, that was the very same question asked of Jesus as well {John 3:4}.  I prefer to think that what happened to Saul was certainly a transformation, a reformation of sorts.  Yet what happened to Saul is also what has transformed the lives of all who have come to know Christ Jesus.

“Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, Nor have entered into the heart of man The things which God has prepared for those who love Him.” 10But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God. 11For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God. 12Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God.
1 Corinthians 2: 9 - 12 NKJV

I was asked by a friend this week to expound on that idea of our Lords revealing His Son in each of us {Galations 1:16}.  Of course, this is that very revelation which transformed the apostle Paul.  It is that very same revelation by which I came to realize the same thing which Paul did...of Christ in me {Galations 2:20}.  This wasn't by my own efforts, but in Gods own timing.  For when it pleased God to reveal Christ in Paul, so it was with me as well.  This, is the revealing.  So how does this revealing of Christ in us pertain to our lives as we live them?  Well, it may be different for others, but for me it means that I have no need to be more like Jesus, to act like Christ like or to continually seek Him.  Today I have Christ in me.  He is as close to me as my next breath.  Granted, I'm still learning all that comes with this realization.  That my needs will be met by He who lives through me.  That it is no longer me who stands at the forefront...but Christ.  I am but a vessel of the image of the invisible God {Colossions 1:15}.

~Scott~

1 comment:

Dennis Deardorff said...

So, when you look at yourself, who do you see? Be honest.