Saturday, November 11, 2017

The Pastors Voice



3For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith. 4For as we have many members in one body, but all the members do not have the same function, 5so we, being many, are one body in Christ, and individually members of one another.6Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, let us prophesy in proportion to our faith; 7or ministry, let us use it in our ministering; he who teaches, in teaching; 8he who exhorts, in exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness.
Romans 12: 3 - 8 NKJV

I found myself this week reflecting on a recent story of a runaway teen who had ran to the man who was accused of abusing her...and ultimately killing her.  I found myself wondering just what I could ever possibly say to a family who had suffered such a loss.  In recent years, I have been blessed with the friendship of one who all too often would be the one who would offer words of consol in our most difficult times.  I do not mention his name, although he knows who he is.  He is, in his former vocation, a pastor.  Although he has left the pastoral scene for more leisureable pursuits, I still see him as a pastor.  I always will.  This is how I remember him.  I don't believe that one can labor for so many years in the faith and suddenly fade into the sunset.  I brought up the point this week that I couldn't see myself finding the words to consol a grieving family.  His response was tempered with the wisdom of years of having to do just that.  It may be difficult to find those words to console others who are hurting, but we try to lead them unto the one who CAN console them {Matthew 11:28-30}.  I would venture to guess that there are precious few christiians among us today who did not first recieve that gospel of Christ Jesus from a pastor.  For this is their calling, to shepherd the flock of God.  Not to oversee, dominate or lord over, but to shepherd the flock of the Lord Jesus.  Trust me, I have been in the presence of those pastors who have done just the opposite.  I know what it means to be misled by one preaching the gospel.  However, those words of my friend seemed to put a few things in perspective.  The pastor gently LEADS others unto He who has promised to consol them.  The focus is not on our pastors, but on the love and mercy of Christ Jesus.  

 27“My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. 28“And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. 29“My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand. 30“I and My Father are one.”
John 10: 27 - 30 NKJV

I had a conversation with a coworker this past week and he made a observation that got me thinking.  He commented that part of our duty as church goers is to verify the words of our pastors by seeking the scriptures for ourselves.  I believe he is right, to a point.  While I believe that we are to seek the scriptures to verify the wonders of our heavenly Father, I do not believe that it is our duty to interpret what the scriptures have shown us.  I believe that this goes for our pastors as well.  I mentioned that I believe that the duty of our pastors is to shepherd the flock of the Lord.  To shepherd, to lead and to direct.  I don't believe that it is that job of the local pastor to teach his interpretation of the scriptures.  It is here where the word will, and has, been watered down to suit the agendas of those who teach it.  Suddenly, our focus is not on our true shepherd, but on a counterfeit.  This is exactly why I valued the words of my friend that it is indeed often difficult to find the words to consol others, but that we should seek to guide them unto He who can truly comfort them.  I believe that it is not the words of the pastor which so often comforts and leads us, but of Christ Jesus speaking through him.  If you are secure in the knowledge that it is Christ who lives through you, then it is also Christ who will speak through you {Galations 2:20}.  Sadly,  there are few pastors who embrace this truth of Christ Jesus in us.  I have been blessed with the friendship of one who has.

1“Take heed that you do not do your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them. Otherwise you have no reward from your Father in heaven. 2“Therefore, when you do a charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. 3“But when you do a charitable deed, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4“that your charitable deed may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will Himself reward you aopenly."
Matthew 6: 1 - 4 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: